Macbook wont start. Booted Snow Leopard upgrade from USB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by megarot, Aug 3, 2012.

1. megarot macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2012
    Hello everyone.

Well here are my woes. I know they've been heard similarly before because I've looked for a few hours already pulling up forum threads and other bits I can grab from the internet.

I was upgrading my Leopard running early 2008 Macbook to Snow Leopard on USB. I've updated my other computer but left this one alone for a long time. Now I want to go up to Lion. Anyway...

My Macbook would see the recognize the USB but it just would NOT boot into Snow Leopard install - I reformatted the USB, did everything to prep. Even created a CCC. So since it wasn't booting I read someone's brilliant advice on another forum to use safe mode while booting. So that's what this dummy did. I selected my USB in my Startup Disk and then held down the shift while booting up.

Now I can't get my computer to back up. I've followed the Apple and Mac Rumors help guides as far as I can. It goes to the apple logo and the spinning wheel then after 15 - 30 seconds it just completely shuts down. I've done SMC reset, PRAM reset (which by the sound of the start up was successful), Safe Boot (again). I tried booting into my external harddrive with the Carbon Copy Clone (that created the circle with line through it), switched USB's that I'm booting into etc. I am in another country and my installation disks are safely packed up home so I dont have them to try out.

Sssooo.. At this point I'd like to see if anyone has any idea's.
  2. megarot thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2012
    How can I figure out if my hard drive took a dump and I need to replace it? I can get it done I just need to see if I can find out if it has to be done.