MacBook won't start (Folder with flashing ?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mmorgan, Feb 11, 2010.

1. mmorgan macrumors newbie

My MacBook was fine until it fell last night. It wasn't a big fall ... it had actually been very close to the floor, but now when I try to start it a flashing folder with a question mark shows up. There is no clicking noise. It makes the sound like it is going to start. I started it up while holding the option key and Macintosh HD shows up with an arrow underneath it. However, when I click on the arrow, it freezes, eventually disappears and then the computer shuts down.

I am currently in Spain and my installation discs that came with my computer are back in the US. Is my best bet to have someone send me them or is that not even going to help?

I also read a post that someone took out their hard drive, reseated it and then when they turned their computer back on everything was fine. Could this be a possibility? Would I need my installation discs after doing that?

I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There's a pretty good chance that the damage is to your hard drive. Get someone to send you the restore disks, or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard for €29.