Macbook won't start - just beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adversecamber, Jul 20, 2008.

1. adversecamber macrumors regular

Safari and then OS X just crashed on me, so I held down the power button to power off. Now, when I try to turn it back on, it just lets out three loud beeps again and again without starting.

What's going on?! The Macbook is only two weeks old.

(thankfully my iPhone still works...!)

2. f72s3e macrumors newbie

I think I read (somewhere) that three loud beeps when you try to turn on a Mac means there's insufficient RAM - but I don't know why it would do that if it's so new and you only manually shut it down. I'd definitely take it back to the store so they can fix it.

3. pertsix macrumors newbie

One of your memory sticks has gone bad. It will most likely be the one that boots up first. You need to check to see which one is bad.

-Take out battery, remove both memory sticks.

-Put in one at a time. Boot.

-If boot fails, replace single stick with the other.

-If boot is successful, you know that you have the bad stick out of the machine.

-Call Apple Care by the 1-800 number, and ask for them to replace this stick by you sending one, and them getting the other.

-If boot failed for both sticks, your logic board is fried, and will require you to either replace the logic board, or replace the actual macbook. Up to you. I'd go for a new macbook since it's been 2 weeks.