macbook wont start, just keeps making start up sound over and over. VLIP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roxstarrgirl, Jul 5, 2011.

1. roxstarrgirl macrumors newbie

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/roxstarrgirl/?action=view&current=VIDEO0098.mp4

I made a thirty second video bc I'm afraid I don't know how to describe what my machine is doing using the correct terms.

I have a macbook, from 2006. It has Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and extra RAM installed.
    I was using my laptop Saturday night, and got the reserve battery warning. I wasn't near my charger, and I let it go to sleep. When I went to use it on Sunday morning, I plugged it in, but it wouldn't start. I let it charge, then tried again. I opened it, nothing. So then I tried to start it with the lid closed (I've had to do it a few times before). When I did that, it made the sound like it was going to start, but then nothing happened. Then i tried holding down the power button. Now it just keeps making the sound like it is going to start, but nothing happens, black screen, no chimes. I had to hold the power button down for a few seconds to make it stop.
    I've tried taking the battery out and holding down power for ten seconds, didn't help.
    Tried starting it holding shift, didn't help.
    I haven't been able to find any other threads about anything like this... Any idea what I did to my machine? :( I don't have Apple care, and as a stay at home mom, I'm afraid repairs won't be in the budget... Hope I can fix it myself.
    Thanks for reading this!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

It's probably just a coincidence but the sounds in your video point to a failed hard drive.

3. roxstarrgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

:/ that is the feeling I had, too. Stink.
    Thank you for your response!

4. Knoodles, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

5. roxstarrgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I thought for sure it would be more expensive. Thank you for the links!