MacBook won't start on MagSafe! Can only run on battery :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wywywywy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. wywywywy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am diagnosing a problem with a Macbook I have at the moment, and I have some experience in fixing iBooks and Mac Minis in the past.

The problem is that the MagSafe doesn't seem to be providing power to the Macbook, despite the green light always showing. The battery of course doesn't charge from it. The Macbook however works fine when powering from the battery. I am pretty sure the MagSafe is not dead because I tried it on another Macbook and it seems to work. Looking at the board, there doesn't seem to be any short pin, nor burnt components.

So to recap -
    1. When powering from battery, Macbook starts
    2. When powering from MagSafe only (battery removed), Macbook doesn't start
    3. MagSafe always shows green light when plugged in, but doesn't charge
    4. MagSafe doesn't seem to be dead (there isn't any stuck pin etc either)

Okay so, any ideas guys? Any diagnostic I can try?

I've done a search but can't find anything. Is it a common problem or not?

Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

sounds like there's a problem with the power supply of your MacBook internally, take it to Apple for them to take a look.

3. wywywywy thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, sorry for double post.

The owner has taken it to Apple and of course Apple suggested a logic board replacement, which seems to be their standard answer. For the record, they said the same thing with my two iBooks and my Mac Mini.

I think it has to be the Macbook itself rather than the MagSafe, but I just can't think of a way to figure out which component is at fault.

Thanks.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So the logic board replacement failed. So why don't they try replacing the entire bottom case?

Also can the battery be charged in another MacBook? Or can you use a different Magsafe to charge the battery in this MacBook?

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Have you tried using a different charger (as eraserhead has suggested), in case the charger is not putting out enough amperage?
    If the green light is on, then the DC in-board should be working correctly. It does sound like the problem may be in the logic board. Has your macbook suffered a liquid spill by any chance?

6. wywywywy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

The battery can be charged in another Macbook. The MagSafe also works on another Macbook.

I don't see any liquid damage on the board, although it is alarmingly dusty. And I certainly ain't told by the owner that it has had liquid damage. I am curious as to why did you ask specifically this question? Is it a common behaviour after liquid damage or something?

Thanks.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you charge a different battery in this MacBook? With or without a different Magsafe?

8. wywywywy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I should have said - no it can't charge anything.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Right, then its rounded down to the MacBook as everything else works separately, if they've already replaced the logic board, then logically they need to replace the whole bottom casing.

10. lost eden macrumors 6502a

In cases like these, I don't understand why Apple don't just take your hard drive, put it into a new MacBook & give you that one. It would save you a whole load of time.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's essentially what they are doing by replacing the bottom casing, except its cheaper as they don't replace the screen.

12. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Ah yes, but if they just switched the disk with a new machine, you could walk into the store & walk out with a working machine in 5 minutes flat, rather than having to wait days for them to repair it. I wasn't so happy having to wait over 2 weeks for them to repair my brand new laptop that arrived faulty.