Macbook wont start up after trying to use bootcamp!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by obp, May 17, 2009.

1. obp macrumors newbie

Right so im hoping someone can help me out here! im not very technology-language-smart so ill try to explain as best i can!

So i have the metal macbook (bought november 2008) and i wanted to install windows xp on it. I read my manual i got with my mac and used the boot camp installation thing. I managed to do the hardrive partition thing and it got to the stage after that where it said it was installing windows, so i followed the instructions and then once it restarted after that it kept going back to the 'install xp' screen. I restarted my macbook and took the disk out and when i started it up again it kept coming up with a message which 'no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key' . So figuring it was part the way through installing xp i inserted that disk again but when i pressed any key it didnt do anything so i restarted it again with the disk in and this time it came back up with the blue windows setup screen. I followed the installation instructions again making sure i picked all the options that the bootcamp instructions told me. Once it got to the restarting stage again it kept loading up with the windows setup screen again. I figured i would be going round in circles if i chose to install it again so i restarted my mac and took out the xp disk and put in my mac installation disk instead. Got all the way through the installation part until you have to 'select a destination' and its got nothing to select? just wondering what to do from here, cause ive ran out of ideas haha

if possible id love to be able to save the files that were on my other bit of the partition (not the windows xp bit) but really i just need my macbook working!

thanks in advance :apple:

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

if im following you correctly..

Have you tried selecting the startup disc on bootup.. you can do this by pushing-and-holding the mac/command/apple key this will in theory bring up 2 different partitions (or hard discs in effect), a Mac OSX one, and windows/bootcamp one. Select the Mac OSX one, and then you should be able to go though the Xp installation process again.

Another thing you might want to try is disk utility in boot-up. Put the leopard install disc in and then select disc utility from the menu on the top of the screen. then checking the disc permissions on either/or both of the different partitions.

Hope this helps

PTP
    :)

3. obp thread starter macrumors newbie

i managed to get the startup disk thing up and i have the option of a windows one, a mac OS X install dvd or a network startup?

oh and when im on the disk utility thing when i click on the hardrive icon thing it doesnt come up with anything under the details or allow me to click anything to do with permissions?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sounds like you installed XP on the wrong partition. The only fix is to reinstall OS X.

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

you will have to do a wipe from disk utility using the Leopard Install disk. Then do a reinstall from the start with the DVD. Redoing the whole process again.

Sorry that you have lost your stuff

but hope that helps

:)

cheers PTP

6. obp thread starter macrumors newbie

im going to london in a few days so do you think it'll be best for me to book in to see one of the tech people in the stores?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They'll probably tell you the same thing, but they'll have the advantage of actually having hands on the machine to confirm.

So, you can either wait until then, or reinstall OS X now.

8. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

The data is gone. I wouldn't waste any time going into a store or anything. I would just go ahead and reinstall. Sorry about your data. :(