Macbook won't start up - HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matbudgie, Apr 12, 2008.

1. matbudgie macrumors newbie

I have a 13" 2.0GHz Macbook running OS X. On occassion recently I have been getting the "please restart your computer" messages where the screen goes dark (I researched this and just passed it by as if it wasn't important). After turning off my computer it often either takes a very long time for it to start up again, or wont at all, and I'll have to turn it off and back on again for it to work.

But this time.. When I turn it back on, it goes to the grey loading screen and after a minute or so it just turns completely off. I've read through various help pages and forums and tried resets of various things to no avail. Eventually I thought to try and boot from my OS X install disc. I tried the First Aid utility and before it says:

First Aid failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing "Macintosh HD" because the follwing error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

it says (in the Verify and Repair disk log area):
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid sibling link
    Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I don't know what else to do! Like anyone with a broken computer, I want it fixed as soon as possible. And like anyone, I'd prefer to not have to take it somewhere to get fixed. I'm most probably under store warranty at this point but I'd actually prefer to try and fix this pretty much straight away so I can go back to working on a photography assignment that was due.. well.. yesterday.. And not backing up my work will not be accepted as an excuse.

Help
    Help
    Help
    Help
    I will give you candy :)

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you google "Invalid sibling link" you will get this article as the first hit

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070204093925888

but read all the comments - some people have had success and others have not - so be careful.

If you have access to another Mac and a firewire cable it might be worth trying to get your stuff off the hard disk first (if you can)

Good luck

3. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I can't accept candy from strangers, however, if you are still under warranty, I don't understand why you would be so hesitant to bring it in. The Genius' will probably be able to fix it/have some solution pretty quickly.

Also, if you're experiencing a failed hard drive and you have a Seagate HDD, then I know that MacBooks with those HDDs are having trouble and you can get it replaced at the Apple store.

Like I said, bring it to the Apple store so you don't risk losing all your data.

4. matbudgie thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a bunch of things as per the instructions in that link to no avail. I'm going to take it in, it was just a matter of needing it fixed right away and the fact that I have very little time in my days to go and take this thing somewhere. Oh well. Not much else I can do I suppose.

...unless there is..?

I thank those who replied.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

This happened to my sisters iBook. Take it in the to the Genius bar they fixed it for her