Macbook Won't Start-up! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jakehyslop, Apr 11, 2009.

1. jakehyslop macrumors newbie

I was minding my own business, listening to iTunes and chatting on Adium, when the little spinning wheel came up and my desktop froze - no big deal I thought, and restarted it.
    But on load up, all I was getting was a little 'No Entry circle with line through it' style symbol on the grey screen.

After browsing various forums I tried to reset the pram, then I tried holding down 'x' on start up, at which point a very loud noise happened and now all I'm getting is a flashing folder with a ? in it appear, for about 2 minutes after which my MacBook turns off!

I've tried putting in my OS X install disk and holding down 'c' and 'd' on start up, but nothing is working?
    When I restard with the Option key held down; i get a 'EFI Boot' logo and a little arrow, which when I click; nothing happens

I'm not in warranty and I don't have Apple Care
    There's nothing important on my harddrive so I don't care about losing Files, I just want to be able to re-install OS X 10.4, or restart it or what ever.

Please Help if anyone Can.

Jake

2. tjsshanty macrumors newbie

I don't now much about this, but it sounds like its possible that your hard-drive may have died . . .

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So you have tried using the apple hardware test on the recovery disk?

4. jakehyslop thread starter macrumors newbie

I've put my original OS X install disk in whilst holding C and managed to get to Disk Utility.
    I've tried to Repair the Drive but I can't as it 'Could not be unmounted'

I'm not really all that fussed about losing all my files to be honest - It seems like my OS files are broken somehow, so I'm setting out to wipe my MacBook clean, and then re-install OS X as if my laptop is new.
    Can you help me do this?