Macbook won't start-up - something to do with external hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by linnm, Aug 30, 2010.

1. linnm macrumors newbie

I've been using this macbook pro for awhile now but never had this problem!

Before I turned on the macbook, my external hard drive was connected to it. So I disconnected it and then pushed the power button on. then the screen loads to a gray color with apple logo and spinning thing below it, and stays like that for a very long time and wouldn't start-up.

So I held the power button off, and the second time before I turned my macbook on, I reconnected the external hard drive (the same one) to it. it starts up the same way with the gray screen for a long time, so I disconnected my external hard drive while it was still showing the gray screen, and surprisingly the screen moved to a blank blue screen this time. I see only my mouse and nothing else, so it leaves me confused and very frustrated.

anyone know what's the problem? would help me A LOT.
    thanks in advance.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Grab the discs that came with your MBP. Insert disc 1 and hold C as you are booting it. You may need to do this a couple times, to get it to boot off of the disc. Once the MBP booted off of the disc, reinstall OS X.

3. linnm thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the reply. I was thinking of doing that, but I wanna make sure first if I reinstall it, would all my settings and files disappear?

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. In OS X 10.6, it doesn't actually give the option to erase and install, but if you have 10.5 or earlier, make sure to select archive and install. That way, it will keep all of your data.

5. linnm thread starter macrumors newbie

am reinstalling right now, thanks a lot. hope it works without any further issue!

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If there are any issues, put it on this thread. I, along with other forum-posters will be happy to help!

7. linnm thread starter macrumors newbie

it worked fine! waited about 50 minutes and had to re-update softwares but now it all start up without a problem. thanks a lot, really appreciate your help AlphaDogh :))

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That is the reason that I am here! I like to help people and I am very happy that you got you MacBook Pro up and running again! If you ever have any issues with anything -related, please just start a thread here on macrumors. We are here to help! :cool: