MacBook won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ILikeCoffee7, Mar 13, 2017.

1. ILikeCoffee7 macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

Hello,
    I have a MacBook purchased last year. Last night at the login screen it froze. I got some message saying if you need to start in some mode, etc. I held the power button till it shut off. Now it will not turn on at all. Do I need to bring it to Apple?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you cannot even get it to fire up at all by holding the power button, then yes... that is not something you will be able to fix yourself and you will need to take it to Apple.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

try resetting the power manager: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
    try resettting PRAM (google it). look into: booting in safe mode, booting into recovery...

ie try a few thing before you head to apple (but there's never any harm in seeking their help, of course)...

4. ILikeCoffee7 thread starter macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

Yes none of that works. It will not power on at all :(

damn it.

Thank you

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

are you sure it's charged? perhaps try plugging the charger into a different outlet for a while, try again... (just a thought).

6. ILikeCoffee7 thread starter macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

I will try that tonight. I mean, I can't get to an Apple Store till possible the weekend anyways.

Thanks everyone

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Have you tried resetting the SMC controller as suggested above. My MacBook would not start up, dead as a dodo. I phoned Applecare to initiate the process of sending it in, and they had me reset the SMC controller and to my great surprise it booted, and has been fine since.

8. ILikeCoffee7 thread starter macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

I haven't tried that but I'll try it tonight when I get home from work. Hopefully that works.

Thank you!

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

ah, thought you'd tried it (resetting the SMC) and still couldn't start up. keep us posted...

10. ILikeCoffee7 thread starter macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

Hello everyone and thanks again for your replies!

You will never believe what the issue turned out to be.

Apparently the two prong adapter on my Macbook's power adapter is faulty and NOT working. Apparently my battery died hence it not starting. I replaced the prong with another one I had from a work Mac laptop and my MacBook charged and booted up.

I'm so upset because the MacBook is less than a year old! Has anyone had their power adapters fail? I am going to call Apple and demand a replacement.

I'm also upset they got rid of the MagSafe power adapters. Having the charge light there is extremely handy and the magnetic connection was so awesome.

Thanks again everyone!

11. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I like happy endings! I am in UK and have had one faulty three pin adapter.