MacBook won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chris2, Aug 26, 2008.

1. chris2 macrumors newbie

My uncle gave me a lightly used MacBook in July, a 2.16 ghz with 2gb of RAM. It was so great until today. I go on this one website and it won't load. After waiting a while I try to Force Quit Safari but it won't work. I don't think much of it, similar things have happened before. I shut down the computer to restart it. When I try to start up, it freezes at the white screen right before the Apple logo pops up and stayed there and the computer was making a weird clicking noise on the inside. I turned it off and tried again, this time a flashing folder with a question mark pops up. I get my Leopard installation discs and put disc 1 in, the disc loads up and it says select your language, like I was installing Leopard again. I select English, then it says choose your destination for installation or something, the thing where you pick MacBook HD or whatever your harddrive is. But for me, the HD never pops up. I try restarting the computer but now it just freezes on the white screen before the logo again. I've tried everything in the manual and Apple support is closed till morning. Anyone know what the problem is or have any suggestions on what to do? Thanks

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sounds like the HDD died, hope you backed up your files..

3. chris2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have some backed up but not all, how do I get a new HDD? Do I have to send it in to Apple?

4. vniow macrumors G4

If its under warranty go for it, if not then either try Apple or another local shop with a good reputation. Or you could do the DIY route if you're handy enough.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if it's still under warrenty I'd send it to apple, otherwise you can find plenty of them online.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah, Macbooks HDD can be replaced with relative ease (unlike the MBP)

Cheers,

7. chris2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to see if I still have it under warranty, thanks for the help guys