macbook wont start up!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egyptianeyes, Dec 31, 2008.

1. egyptianeyes macrumors newbie

Ok so my computer just recovered from a kernal panic, i reinstalled mac os x on my computer using archive and install, but the install failed, so i just started up mac hd and it worked as if i reformated the computer and i still had all my stuff. then i got all the system updates and it just went straight to the windows partition of my hard drive. so i restarted it and held the option key and come to find out, windows was the only partition that was appearing. mac hd wasn't even there. here i am scared out of my mind, and i have no idea what to do. so i did a PRAM reset (the command-option-P-R) that didnt work i did a verify and repair disk using the install disks. when i go to boot camp on vista it shows the mac hd and windows hd next to each other if i wanted to restart it on either one, i tried doing the mac hd and it did the same thing, went straight to the windows partition. help please i have no idea what to do next!

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Seems like it needs a trip to the Apple Store.

3. egyptianeyes thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i made an appointment tomorrow at the genius bar, i hope they can do something, will they charge me anything?

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

If it's a new computer you have 1 year of warranty if it's over 1 year and you have extended applecare then it will cover it. If you don't have extended applecare and your 1 year warranty is passed then they will charge you. :)

5. egyptianeyes thread starter macrumors newbie

yay! my warranty expires may 09 thanks man! happy new year!

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

Download macdrive for Windows (free trial) and backup your data... if you don't use time mashine already! If you do, bring the Time Mashine disk to the helpdesk!

HAppy new year :apple:

7. finnschi macrumors 6502

It just seems like the Boot sector is messed up, so you'll probably need to reformat and reinstall OSX, or at least the Bootloader... But since you are covered by warranty you'll be all fine :)