Macbook won't start up!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zyzzogeton, Jan 7, 2009.

1. zyzzogeton macrumors member

Hi everyone, I don't know the exact specs of my computer but it is the macbook just before the new ones came out from stock, so no parts are replaced/upgraded.

Literally 10 minutes ago my computer was running fine and I was installing this program called JACK because one of my audio programs I run needed it. So after I installed it told me to restart so I did. then when I did it booted up into my empty windows partion, now it's a long story why I have a partion without windows installed but we can talk about that later. So naturally I was like "crap" and restarted but I forgot which button was to choose the start up disk so I held control-option-command hoping one of them would register... nothing happens. And now whenever I try to restart my computer I just get to the gray screen. I have tried every safe-startup-command-line thing out there and I don't get past the grey screen. If I hold down option/alt then I get a mouse(yay) but nothing else. If I hold down the mouse button then I get stuck at the apple symbol.

So my question is if anyone has had similar problems and has fixed them.

Oh ya, I also don't have my install disk with me... great huh?

2. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

I don't about about the rest, but for the part about all you are getting is the gray screen (the part i quoted), happened to me twice. i ended up having to have the hdd replaced..

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Insert the restore DVD's that came with your Macbook and then turn it on and see if it works then, infact im almost sure it will, you'll have to reinstall Leopard (MAC OS X, your operating system) but dont worry you shouldnt loose anything.

4. cablebob1 macrumors newbie

RE: MacBook won't start up!!!

Shut down the computer by holding down the power button. Turn it back on and hold down the "option" button. You should have a list of partitions to boot up in. Select the Mac OS and hit enter. If you want to avoid this problem in the future, go to system preferences and click "Startup Disk". Then select the partition you want to auto boot up in. You can also take the windows partition off if you want by going to bootcamp and following the instructions.
    Hope this helps!

5. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

Thats great and all but all I see is my mouse. Also I don't have my restore disk right now because I lended to my friend. Anything I can do until I get it back?

6. cablebob1 macrumors newbie

7. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member