Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Hi, I have a old MacBook(the white one). It started fine but I decided to install more RAM to 2G (Max, 2 1G sodimm ) after that it just wont start, when press on the power button ther is absolutely no response, the screen is black, I thought the memory is bad so I put the original 2x 512M memory back, still the same. I did all the PRAM reset SMC reset as Google suggested to no avail, I just cant figure out what could be wrong, any ideas?

esmith

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Canada
Hi, I have a old MacBook(the white one). It started fine but I decided to install more RAM to 2G (Max, 2 1G sodimm ) after that it just wont start, when press on the power button ther is absolutely no response, the screen is black, I thought the memory is bad so I put the original 2x 512M memory back, still the same. I did all the PRAM reset SMC reset as Google suggested to no avail, I just cant figure out what could be wrong, any ideas?

Are all screws back in correctly ? (meaning is there a loose screw somewhere shorting out the board)

was it unplugged when you installed the ram? (equals bad...)

any static shocks when installing?

are you sure you used the correct ram?

MacPC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

"Are all screws back in correctly ? (meaning is there a loose screw somewhere shorting out the board)"

Yes, I double checked.

"was it unplugged when you installed the ram? (equals bad...)"

It was unplugged and with the battery out.

"any static shocks when installing?"

I have a wrist band on my arm grounded.

I did everything obvious, that's why I can't finger what could be wrong. :( Funny thing was after I installed the 2 g memory, It did start, but in the About This Mac, it only showed 1G, so I thought I didn't put in the one of the memory correctly, I went back to check and make sure everything is installed correctly, after that, it never start again. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.