Macbook Won't Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chunkyblamm, Apr 21, 2010.

1. chunkyblamm macrumors newbie

chunkyblamm

I have a 13 black macbook. Its an older one but the other night i went to turmn it on and the grey screen with the apple logo comes up with the little twirly thing and stays for about a minute then it shuts off. I replaced the HDD last November I want to say. When the first one went there would be a clicking noise which I am not getting now. I suppose I will try taking out the ram and HDD and reinstalling them. I am looking for my OSX disk as we speak. Any other suggestions or does anyone know what may have happened.

2. chunkyblamm thread starter macrumors newbie

chunkyblamm

so I found my install disk and went into the disk utility. However, when i tried to verify the HDD it failed... Says

Verifying volume HDD
    Checkin Journaled HFS Plus Volume
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking catalogue file
    Invalid Node Structure
    Volume check failed.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed

Anyone?

3. chunkyblamm thread starter macrumors newbie

chunkyblamm

Ive reseated the ram and the hdd to no luck. I have booted in target mode and single user mode both to no avail. The last resort is going to be hooking the drive up via usb and trying to recover some of my stuff. Luckily, or not so luckily depending on how you look at things, the drive was still under warranty since its barely over a year old. I have already got an RMA from hitachi and it will be replaced. You would think I wouldve learned to back it up after the last one failed and i lost everything but I guess old dogs dont learn new tricks. The drive was a Hitachi Travelstar 7k320, not saying it is a bad model cause it worked awesome while it worked, but I figured Id put it out there anyway. Thanks for all the responses and help.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

lol, sorry about your MacBook. If I would have saw this thread earlier I swear I would have tried to help. But it looks like you got it all figured out. Good luck with the replacement drive!

5. chunkyblamm thread starter macrumors newbie

chunkyblamm

HOLY Sh*t!... I got a reply.:D I appreciate it but yeah I think I may have exhausted all possibilities. Nothing the search button and google couldn't help with, I was just trying to go the easy route. Hopefully Ill still be able to recover some stuff cause the macbook still sees the drive when I use disk utility on the boot disk. Ill post my results when Im done which will hopefully be by tomorrow night. Although Im thinking about selling the replacement and upgrading to a bigger driver. Any suggestions? I was looking the other day and it appears 500gb was the biggest. Although I thought i saw some weird one like a 620 or something. Ill probably go with a 500 until they start mass producing the 1tb that fit macbooks. I am leaning towards a 7200 500gb drive, any recommended?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

There is a 1tb laptop drive, unfortunately it wont fit in your MacBook, but it does fit in all the unibodies.

Your highest capacity option is the 640gb western digital scorpio blue drive. I had this drive for a while and it was really good. So is the 500gb Scorpio blue. Both are excellent performers even though they're only 5400rpm.

If you really want the 7200rpm then the seagate momentus 500gb drive is a good option too.

I personally like to stick with the 5400rpm options because they're quieter and because the performance gain from 7200 drives is very minimal.

7. chunkyblamm thread starter macrumors newbie

chunkyblamm

Dually noted. I dont know a whole lot about computers just enough to get by, but I always thought the 7200 would be better. Ill look into that 640gb but I may just stick with a 500 and this time get a NAS or some sort of external hdd to back up my info. Any suggestions that would work well with time machine?