MacBook won't switch on!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frizers, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Frizers macrumors regular

Hey guys in a bit of a panic here. My MacBook pro 13" 2011 (latest version of Yosemite) just died on me today. I had my iPhone plugged in and the laptop was running on battery. When I unplugged the iPhone (without ejecting in iTunes) the laptop just switched off and won't switch on again. It won't charge and the battery level on the side doesn't light up at all. The battery was around 80% when it just switched off. I called apple and they tried the reset with control alt shift and the power button but it made no difference and I have to wait a week for an appointment at the Apple store.

Do you guys have any idea what I could try?

The battery has given warnings in the menu bar (exclamation mark when clicking on the battery) for about 10 months now but when I took it to Apple store back then they said that it passed their tests so it was fine.

Also, I replaced the hdd with an sad about two years ago, and the cd drive with a second hdd about a year ago (no problems until now)

Would appreciate any help to fix it or work out what kind of price I'm looking at for fixing it (out of warranty as its 3 1/2 years old). Cheers!

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Unplugging the iPhone shouldn't affect things (unless during a sync), or at least I never had that issue since Apple prevented mounting a device as a disk drive. It’s the stuff that mounts as a disk (flash drives) that you need to watch out for.

Maybe the battery just died? Does it boot up when plugged in? Your laptop should boot up without a battery installed, but run a bit slower. So a broken battery shouldn't stop it turning on.

The warning happens when the battery is fine but is not holding as much charge as when it was new. It just reminds you that a new battery would give you a longer run time.

A new motherboard and/or battery might be required. I don't know the Apple prices, but the battery on ifixit is $100 and the motherboard is $350 - $850 based on the CPU.

3. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

I've plugged it in and it's still not switching on. Something that wasn't happening earlier is that the light on the power cable (which wouldn't turn on earlier) is now flashing between yellow and green. It still won't switch on though and has been connected for a few hours

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

This site says you have a might dead battery: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4270970

If resetting the SMC did't help (you can always retry) you could unplug the battery connector and then plug it back in. Some people had some success with it.

5. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much that's done it. Unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it's runnjng like normal! I owe this community a lot for help with this laptop! Do you think this means I have to replace my battery or will it not necessarily happen again?

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The battery is not the greatest, but it should be fine for now. If it happens again you should look at getting a new battery.

7. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

Okay well thanks again for your help! I'll see how it goes and get a replacement if necessary. just relieved I've got a laptop again :D