MacBook won't turn on; Battery Wouldn't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LadyVes, Jul 22, 2010.

1. LadyVes macrumors newbie

I don't have a warranty anymore. I got my Mac three and a half years ago. At first two days ago, I had a hard time turning it on. The charger didn't have a glowing green light. Then, once I got it on, the battery sign said it wasn't charging, had an X or something. But I got by by just leaving the charger on and it must have been charging some because I could use it for more hours than my usual 100% charged. My battery have always been damn awful because of the edition. But last night, I couldn't get it to turn on at all. The fan makes noises and so does the computer and sometimes, I can see very faintly that it goes to the sign-in. It could just be out of batteries and doesn't turn all the way on, just shuts down after a minute.

But since I don't have warranty, I am wondering how much it'd be to visit the Apple Store. And also, if anyone know of any way to fix it...could it be some other issue aside from the battery? This happened right after a storm that we had while I was at work and left it plugged on. But there was no lightning. Thanks. :apple:

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Try these steps here. Ignore the one about 10.4.9, it's old advice, you are probably not running OS X 10.4

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1457

One other thing to look at - Open System Profiler, go to Power and look at Battery Status. It should say Good or Normal. If it says Check or Replace battery that usually means it is toast & you need a new battery. Not very expensive, I believe there are good non-branded ones out there.