MacBook won't turn on, first time ever, but was fine 2 hours ago..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smssoleimani, Apr 20, 2012.

1. smssoleimani macrumors newbie

Hello Fellow MacRumors Members,

I come to you in a time of need and concern.

I have a late 2008 MacBook, running the second to latest Lion update. The computer was fine 2 hours ago, I had transfered some files to a USB, ejected the USB, locked the screen and step away for about 2 hours.

My computer was and is most of the time hooked up to the magsafe, and at the time when I stepped away it was hooked up to an external monitor extending my display, a external drive and a usb hub with a bunch of other stuff like a wireless mouse receiver and another external.

I come back to wake my computer and hitting any key doesn't do anything, so I check the sleep light, its not there, so I click the power button, nothing happens..at that point I'm very concerned. I disconnect everything, flip it over and check the battery status, it's fully charged. Still doesn't turn on. I proceed with a SMC/PMU reset by taking out the battery and holding down start for a few seconds..didn't work. I tested the charger with the MacBook I am typing to you on right now and it's fine. At this very moment I have the battery out, the RAM, and the HDD. I will probably take out the HDD on this other MB and test mine to make sure its working. My thoughts are to let my MB chill for a while since I keep my computer on pretty much all the time. I have been a good and smart Mac user...TIME MACHINE.

What do you guys think I should do/try? I understand its a few years old and I have come to my senses that I do need a new computer soon but would stil l like to try and troubleshoot this. My MB has been through A LOT, like surviving a beer, apple replacing the optical drive, RAM upgrade from 2GB --> 4GB, and being on constantly for years (obviously shutdown here and there, but it's been on a lot more than off). Please provide me with support, thoughts on causes and possible troubleshooting steps. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the long read.

-Steve

2. Nilscollection macrumors regular

Nilscollection

I guess it's pretty much possible that the spilled beer makes the MacBook not powering on.

Have you checked the motherboard already? Is there rust or any other damage to it?

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

OP:

Try these steps and see if your Mac will power up.:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365

Try holding down the power button for 15 seconds, then release it and try booting again.

4. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

same problem! but i fixed it

try holding the power and the command button for couple of seconds, and it will boot up and no files are missing at all.i've encounter this situation before, and hope this works on yours.;)

5. smssoleimani thread starter macrumors newbie

hold cmd and power for a couple seconds with the battery in or not in? with memory in or not in?

6. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

rely to thread starter

hold cmd+power button with both memory and battery in, hope it will start;)