Macbook won't turn on; hard drive transfer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZAB4901, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ZAB4901 macrumors newbie

Recently, I spilled a beverage on my 13" Macbook (white unibody, bought in 2010, out of warranty). Tried to save it, but to no avail. Now it won't power on from the power button. Brought it in to the repair shop for an in-store diagnostic. Some signs of liquid damage on the logic board; needs a new top case and trackpad; optical drive having an issue inserting and ejecting disc. Too costly to repair, so I bought a new Macbook Pro. Anyway, most of my data was backed up online. Since my old broken computer won't turn on, is there any way I can access the hard drive to selectively transfer to my new computer any data that wasn't already back up? A way that would also be cheaper than the $100 the repair shop wants to charge me? I'm not necessarily tech-savvy, per say; however, I'm not entirely stupid when it comes to computers either (and I do know how to follow directions).

Thanks.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Should be pretty easy for you to get the HD out of the MacBook. Just follow the directions at ifixit.com.

Get a $10 2.5 SATA to USB enclosure from Newegg or other. If the drive is OK you should be able to get the data off or even use migration assistant when setting up your new one.