macbook won't turn on unless plugged in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

It's as if my macbook has no battery power. It's at 98% but when I unplug it, it shuts right off. I turn it off and try to turn it back on but it just goes right back off again before the screen even lights up. I was using it not plugged in about an hour before with no problem. What's happening?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sounds like the MB isn't seeing your battery. If you take out the battery and press its button, do the green lights turn on?

3. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the light comes on when i click the button. it even has charged up to 100% and is showing a green light on my power cord. But as soon as I take that power cord out, the mac shuts right down. :\

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Hmm. You might want to take that into the Apple store. Something could be wrong with the power mechanism inside the book.

5. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

what could have caused that? It was fine this morning...

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

7. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Is it cold where you are today? I got my mother a macbook and she had a tendency to leave it on a cold surface in a cold room, it didn't seem to do the battery any favors, getting to cold shortens the life span of a battery. On a really cold night, it wouldn't power up from the battery.

8. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

No, shouldn't have anything to do with temperature... I brought it to the mac store here though, and the guy suggested removing the battery and letting it deplete over 2 or 3 days. Then, to put it back in the mac and charge it up again. If my mac still shuts off when I unplug it I'll need to replace the battery. LAME! Hopefully it's covered in the warranty.

9. Canerican macrumors regular

The battery is covered by the warranty, and certain ones qualify for what is called the MacBook Battery Exchange program. I would give Apple a call or go to a Genius Bar if you live close enough

10. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

OK. the guy at the mac store told me to let the battery deplete and that it would take two or three days. 5 days later the battery is STILL FULLY CHARGED!!! I am sick and tired of my macbook shutting down if I bump the dumb cord out. I really am beginning to hate all the problems I've had and am having with this laptop, my other system, a PC, has NO problems, while the Mac is always freezing, restarting, and being a general piece of crap. So much for the Mac vs PC debate. Maybe if I install Windows on my Mac things will run a bit smoother. Though I'll still need to replace this battery that magically stopped working.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok your battery is definitely faulty. i had the exact same problem with my macbook pro core duo. i had to go through 2 services and they still said it was fine! :mad:

i finally told them that i cannot put up with this and i know its a faulty battery. so they replaced it on the 3 service and it was fine! until that battery got replaced recently so now i have a 1 year old macbook pro with a battery that has 3 charge cycles. my original ram and logic board have also been replaced.

i think i have a lemon but my warranty is out so i dont think apple will ever replace it!?