Macbook Won't Turn On Using Battery (Urgent)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by propaintballa, Nov 29, 2011.

1. propaintballa macrumors newbie

Hey guys, looking to buy a defective Macbook (2008) with the aim of repairing it, but I want to try and get a more definitive answer than the ones i've found, none seem to be the exact same problem. Bearing in mind, I don't have the machine, so the information I can give is limited.

So the Macbook works fine on mains power, but as soon as it's unplugged, the machine turns off, which i have just replaced a battery in another macbook with the same problem, but apparently the Macbook in question has been tried with another working battery but still behaves in the same way, i.e, works on mains, but when mains is removed, the machine turns off…

Now, this has kind of confused me because it puts everything else out of the window really… Has anyone experienced this?

As it's not working with a charged working battery then surely it must be a problem between the battery and the logic board?

Any help would be great

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If you charged up a different battery using a different machine and then put it into this new machine but it failed to power up using that charged battery, then it's almost definitely a non-trivial hardware problem. I'd try super cleaning the pins that connect to the battery and looking to see that there aren't any bent pins or anything, but if that's not the problem then the machine is probably broken to the point where the repair would probably cost more than buying a working model.

3. propaintballa thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this is what i'm thinking, and the likelihood of pins on the battery which is inside the machine (Sort of) being bent? Questioning whether it's likely :/

I just don't know whether to take a risk and buy it and hope for the best, resetting SMC etc maybe.

I've seen on the newer, Unibody models, people have unplugged the connector from the battery to the logic board, plugged it back in and it works fine :/

4. lflytech macrumors newbie

you may charge the battery on another machine to see if it works fine. Or you may try a new adapter on your laptop to see if it charges the battery.

http://www.popubuy.com

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I'd try replacing the cable that connects the battery to the logic board as well as the magsafe board, both are cheap parts and would probably cost about 10 buck total on ebay, and that would most likely take care of your problem.