Macbook won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by watomsk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. watomsk macrumors newbie

I left my Macbook (late 2008, 13-inch aluminum, Snow Leopard) in sleep mode last night and when I woke up this morning I opened the lid and the screen started flashing rapidly, I decided to turn it off (holding the power button) and now the Macbook won't turn on at all.

I plugged in the charger and it has a very, very dim green light on. I tried to check the charge by pressing the side button and no lights turn on at all. When I press the power button the caps lock LED turns on with a very dim green light (just like the charger, you can only see it in a dark room), but the computer does nothing at all. I tried using cmd+power button, removing the battery for 30 minutes, and nothing seems to work.

I've had the computer for almost 4 years now and never had a problem with it, never spilled anything on it. I formatted it a month ago cause it was starting to get slow, and I upgraded the ram to 4gb two years ago and that never caused me any issues either.

I'm clueless here. Any ideas?

2. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

1) an you start up to the boot menu by holding down the option key?

2) have you tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM

3) if you are running 10.7+, have you tried booting into the recovery partition?

4) if you are running 10.6.x, have you tried booting into the install CD?

3. watomsk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response.

The screen is not turning on at all, and the computer won't even make a sound. I tried pressing cmd, option, P, and R and it does nothing. I can't insert a CD either. It looks like it's not getting any power.

4. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Sounds like either a battery issue or PMU issue

Reset your PMU and see if that helps. Instructions for your specific mac model can be found on the internet.

If not, you may need a battery replacement. Perhaps a visit to your local Apple Store? If you have AppleCare, it may cover the cost of the battery. I'm not sure. I recommend having a Genius or other tech expert examine the computer before you buy a new battery.

5. Kateandhermac macrumors newbie

Hi there,I was just wondering how it all turned out. Did you have to take it to the apple store? If so, what did they say? I've encountered the exact same issue and am unbelievably frustrated. Thanks.

6. GlassOgnion macrumors member

Disconnect the magsafe from the macbook, remove the battery, push on the power button for 10 seconds then reinstall the battery and the magsafe and power up the machine.