Macbook Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Filthy Beast, May 14, 2014.

1. Filthy Beast macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I left a new iphone (3G) plugged into my Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) and came back about an hour later, and my mac was off. It wouldn't turn back on after that. I tried resetting the SMC, holding Shift+Control+option+power, opening mac and disconnectiong/reconnecting battery, and none of that worked. When I hit the battery button on the side, nothing comes up. When I plug in the charger and hit it, I get 5 lights. I left it charging overnight, then hit it the next morning and it was still only 5 lights (out of 8). :confused:

I took it to apple and the guy (who seemed pretty damn confused for a "genius";)) said he thinks its the logic board because he disconnected the battery and plugged in the charger, and said it should power up like that.

This has also happened a few weeks ago, I was walking in the rain with my mac in my backpack so it got damp, wouldnt turn on, then I waited a day and it turned on.:D This time, however, it was just sitting in my room. I don't think it could have been static electricity either since it was just sitting still on my bed without anyone touching it. Any ideas guys? I'm broke so I dont want to order a new logic board if I dont need it or if theres an alternative. Thanks!

2. Filthy Beast thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, does anyone know how to really test if it is the logic board? Thanks

3. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Possibly water damage from the rain affecting the charging circuit. I had one that behaved this way. If the battery was ever totally dead then there was no way to get it running without removing the battery and charging it on another macbook (past a couple of percentage points) and putting it back in the macbook. Then it would start up and charge all the way. If you are able to charge the battery in another macbook I would suggest trying that. My best guess without seeing it, is a combination of completely dead battery, and logic board liquid damage.

The 5 battery leds is also very odd if the battery is, in fact, dead.

Good luck

4. Filthy Beast thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Geekeey macrumors newbie

To fix any issues like this please read

This is caused by a short on the USB it shorts the system board and the Battery needs to be disconnected from the system board for 1 minute.

Open the back and you will see the battery (big long black rectangle), you lift the small black connector so it disconnects from the system board, leave it disconnected for 1 minute then plug back in.

Press the side button and the light will light up green, put the back back on it will work perfectly, it could be a cheap USB cable causing the issue.

It is very easy to do.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since you seem to know what you're doing. Remove the bottom panel and disconnect the battery from the Logic Board. Then open the Mac and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Release and hold for 10 and release. Repeat the 10 second holds five times. It may very well work.

7. Filthy Beast thread starter macrumors newbie

Didnt work :/. I plugged my HDD into 2 other different macbook pros (one was the same exact model) and it doesnt even mount and it brings up the menu with disk utility, install mac osx, get online help, etc. I also then started the other mac up from a Live CD (ubuntu) and that couldnt mount the hard drive either. Does anyone know what could have happened to **** my logic board AND hard drive now?! I really need the pics from my HDD!!

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try holding OPT at boot. It sounds like it is defaulting to the recovery partition at start up.

9. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Well being that it's booting to the recovery partition, the HD is at least functioning. Have you tried attempting to repair the OS partition from disk utility on the recovery partition? It doesn't always work but it should for minor repairs. If not, it may not hurt to either invest in something like DiskWarrior (can rebuild darn near any corrupt filesystem) or possibly borrow it from a friend if they have it.

10. Fimeg macrumors regular

It also sounds like the Logic Board is dead... I have successfully, 7/8 times put the logic board in the oven (from both iMacs and Macbook Pros) and baked them at 375º for 7 1/2 minutes. Thrown them back together, and it works. This was recovering from water damage, or GPU overheat. If you're out of other options I would do this. Honestly, it's worked for me so many times, it'd be next the thing I'd do after testing the battery.

Edit: Look online about "baking macbook pro." Also, make sure you have thermal paste before you start.

11. Filthy Beast thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt try this before I used disk utuility to repair it, but I dont think it would have worked because there were other signs that my HDD was corrupt

I clicked repair disk and it helped a lot. Even though it said repair disk failed, my HDD was now recognized as 'Macintosh HD' instead of '499GB Volume'. Now when I booted it, it gets stuck at the apple logo screen instead of going straight to recovery (on my sisters macbook with the working logic board). What I did next was burn an Ubuntu LiveCD and put it into my sisters laptop with my HDD in. Then voilet! I could now access my files after the disk repair. Now, I will just copy them to an external HDD.

This is exactly what I'm going to try next. I tried using a blow dryer on it before to avoid taking it apart and getting the thermal paste, but that didn't work. So now I got the thermal paste and and am going to try that next. However, this is just a temporary fix though right? How long does it work for when you have tried it?

Thanks for the help everyone!:D