MacBook won't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NitinNike, Jun 18, 2015.

1. NitinNike macrumors member

I tried everything like smc reset, holding power button for 30secs. I had a chat with apple support and they suggested me to take in for the service.

I want to know whether they wipe my entire data while they service as I haven't taken a backup. I am afraid if I lose my data. I want someone to share their experience with the Apple genius.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Your data is probably just fine. It is stored on a separate HDD or SSD, be it SATA or PCIe. Unless you have the new 2015 MacBook, then it's soldered and you might be out of luck. But you didn't list a model so I'm assuming it's a MacBook Air. If so the worst case would be a dead logic board and they can swap the board itself and put your SSD back with all of your data intact.

I have never dealt with Apple directly on repairs though since we don't have an Apple store for hours in any direction and I do my own repairs. Usually the only thing they wipe are iOS devices via a restore when they are done.

3. NitinNike thread starter macrumors member

Firstly, Thank you for answering! and yes I have a 2013 MacBook Air. I have never encountered any problem in past years in any of my other MacBooks so was curious to ask about it.