Macbook won't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mushrooshi, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Ok. So I was bored just 15 minutes ago, I hard shut down (That is holding down the power button) on my 2.16ghz 2006 Macbook Core 2 Duo to get into windows.

Then I press it again.

And nothing.

No chime, no screen, no activity indicated by the light, no superdrive noise, absolutely nothing.

My MacBook was plugged in. The battery says it has all 5 green dots, its pretty much full. the charger on the macsafe has the bright green color as usual. But the macbook seems dead.

Just what the heck did I do, and just what the heck happened?

I didn't get applecare, my dad is one of those asian-types who believes I should take care of everything, but unfortunatly, things happen (Like this). I have no warranty anymore, it was from 2006. 1 year warranty is pretty damn short.

I am baffled. I tried all the things, and none seem to work. Should I just wait overnight?

If I don't get my macbook fixed, I will be grounded and punished and probably not allowed to use computers again int his house. I am serious, my dad gets nazi-strict about me supposedly breaking things! I swear, I didn't spill anything or hit it or shock it. I just did a safe little hold down of the power button for 3 seconds.

Its dead!

2. TommyLee macrumors regular

considering that you already tried the claw thing hand maneuver with the cloverleaf, P,R and the option button or whatever. have you taken the battery out and tried starting from AC? have you held the power button 10 seconds with the batter out and the ac disconnected?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is the Magsafe light green, orange, or nothing at all?

4. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but it didn't work!

My dad is going to get so mad at me! And I didn't do a single thing risky on it!

The only thing I can think of is that somehow, turning it off broke something from the heating and contracting of the metal parts. But I doubt that is true.

How is it that somehow, between 1 second, something just broke?

if my power button is physically damaged, is there an alternative way to turn it on?

EDIT: Magsafe is bright and green.

5. TommyLee macrumors regular

do you have any friends with macbooks?you could swap the topcase for a minute and try to isolate the problem

6. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

If the Magsafe is green/lit up, then it's not dead :)

Maybe leave it alone for an hour or so?

7. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

It is unfortunate, but I only know 1 mac user, and he has a g5 iMac.

Everyone else is pretty much 'LOL MACZ HAVE ONLY 1 MOUSE BUTTON!' 'MACZ ARE MAID 4 RETARDZ!' 'STEVE JOBS IS GHEY! HE MADE A RAINBOW APPLE HEEHEE!'

8. TommyLee macrumors regular

i need to move there... i could make millions in that city selling macs.

9. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

No!!!!

I decided to remove and put back in the RAM, but now...

The green light on the magsafe connector just doesn't go at all!

What did I do wrong?!?

Isn't it that I simply unscrew the 3 screws, pull the levers, then put them in and push hard, making sure the notch is on the correct part?

Did I just break my macbook further?

I'm going to have a field day with punishment. >.<

EDIT:

1 side of the magsafe is off. The other is dim. You can see it whent he lights are on, but barely.

EDIT2: Oh no. Oh no you didn't! MY MacBook did not just become an hero!

I think the problem is in the logic board.

Edit3: Yesterday, my macbook randomly went dark. I thought it was the battery running out. NOw that I think about ti, I used the 'book for only 45 minutes, before it went dark. When I plugged it in and pressed the poer button (In windows, this happened in windows), all the sudden the screen colors were all messed up. Mostly white, then it had tons of the extreme blues and extreme pinks. It wasn't until I changed the propeties (I was too lazy to restart) that It was fixed. The macbook was from July. I just read reports of macbook logic boards failing. I have all my stuff backed up on Time Machine, and I am sure I can have my hard drive extracted anyways if I have to send it in tot he apple store.

It looks like that if it was indeed a defect and not my fault, then I don't know what the apple store would do. Would they look at it and determine the defect, if it was one, manifested itself later then normal,3 months past the warranty, or would they go 'Hurr hurr, its been warranty expired! Pay up innocent customer!'.

This is not fair at all! If infact I do have to pay for repairs, and it turns out it was a defect, then i think I got ripped off!

10. Chozo macrumors member

Take it to an Apple store and have this conversation with your father:

You: My Macbook broke down. I think it may be the logic board. It just failed on me.

Your Dad: *enter some rant*

You: Are you a expert on Macbook repair/maintenance? No? Then ****.

Seriously.

I can't stand parents who have a mindset on computers or anything else like it's supposed to last forever. And the second something goes wrong, it must be something you did cause computers have never failed, right? If your dad gives you flack for your Macbook, just tell him you'll use his logic and ask him how many times in the past 5 years he's brought his car to the mechanic.

11. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Simply put, My parents are asian, and so am I. Meaning they sort of have those kinds of thoughts.

Does Apple always cut slack for everyone? Or not?

12. TommyLee macrumors regular

13. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Lol only 5 bux?

Tommy, it looks like you have great experience. Is it really that being the problem?

I'd just like to know how turning a macbook off somehow broke it, and how just opening the ram/harddrive compartment somehow ruined the magsafe board? Also, what if it is the logic board?

Is the logic board something I can probably replace? Ive opened up several things and fixed them, would i be able to fix something made by Apple? I wasn't able to fix my mighty mouse (Which, oddly enough, died 2 days ago, scroll ball troubles), and I am too afraid to open up my macbook and my ipod.

EDIT: I have just came to realize... My iPod broke. my Macbook appears broken. my mighty mouse broken. Am I having bad luck, or is the build quality that bad?

14. Chozo macrumors member

Assuming you did nothing to the others, that would be horrible luck.

But you can fix your iPod yourself.

15. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

This morning, I tried the stuff, in case something would happen overnight.

It didn't happen.

Well, here is the stupidity in it all. My dad claims I have 'too much junk' on my hard drive. He makes NO sense. I think he is trying to trick me into thinking I need to save hard drive space... Anyways I am not grounded or anything, but he is pissed, and he won't take 'Are you an expert on MacBooks' or stuff like that.

How does a 120gb hard drive with 35gb free space somehow cause the logic board to malfunction? That makes as much sense as my house catching on fire because I have too much stuff in my room...

Also, i noticed that when I connect it to the AC adapter, a very, very faint clicking noise can be heard on the left side, which appears to have the logic board there.

16. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

You need to change your sig. to

~ 2.16 GHZ Macbook ~ 4GB iPod Nano G2 ~ 80GB iPod Classic ~ Mighty Mouse ~ All Broken sorry me bad!

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Sorry - did you try taking the battery out and plugging it directly onto mains electricity?

18. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, like that helps...

Yea. No worky.

If it all comes down to it is Apple's fault, but we still have to pay for repairs, then I don't know what to do.

It isn't coming out of my pocket, because I know it isn't my fault, and I know my dad won't pay for it, because I am always wrong and I am the kid and he is the father and he knows everything and that houses burn down when people put too much stuff in their closet... WHAT BULLSH*T

Point is, if it truely is Apple mistake, and it was a late bloomer of a defect, then Apple should pay for it.

I was wondering, should it come down to a lawsuit, if I was the person doing all the court crap, all I would sue Apple for is the ~$500 to fix the logic board and court costs. Just to let you all know that I won't be like one of those trashy people and sue Apple for 1 million dollars for a new macbook, depression and suffering, and disturbing the piece. No, that is a bunch of BS.

EDIT

Alright, my dad actually didn't know what the logic board was, and after I told him it is Apple's special word for motherboard (Why can't they just say that?), he now knows that I am totally aware of his 'theory' being BS, and now he knows either he is wrong, or his attempt of 'IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG' is foiled.

Now, I want to know this:

Will Apple pay for repairs if it is a defect and they know it is a defect?
    Is it a widespread problem of Revision C Summer 2007 macbooks having defective logic boards?
    Is there such thing as a late bloomer of defects? Will apple geniunely believe me that my macbook commited suicide, and that I didn't cause macslaughter (lol, get it, manslaughter+mac), or murder of my macbook? Basically, even though it is past warranty, Apple will be righteous and honest, and will cover the costs of repair?

Thanks! Any and All help is by far important, and if I could, I would give you a dollar for useful help (If I was an adult, $20, but I am a student so... A dollar!)

That, and the stuff with my dad is now OK.

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Inform us on how that lawsuit turns out. Of course it is Apple's fault. Never the user. :)

20. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Yep and all the items in his sig. are broken.......HUmmmmmmm

Oh and if you buy Applecare next time, you will not have to go thru this :)

21. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea the logic board died on my 12" Powerbook G4, and the symptoms were the same as you described: nothing happened when I hit the power button, but the charger was still green. And yes it is a serious problem, but not unfixable, but probably fairly expensive. Good Luck man, and I hope ur dad doesn't beat you too bad :)

22. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, no lawsuit yet, I hope that is the last thing to happen (Well, not the absolute last, but I'd much prefer not to have one).

I haven't even gone to the Apple store yet!

Well, my dad set an appointment, and no, I am not in trouble at all.

Also, right now, I am borrowing my sister's laptop (she rarely uses it), and my current project now is to fix her USB. I want to nuke it and reinstall XP, and I figured I would back it up, but since the USB doesn't work, and her Dell has no firewire... I think I will hook up my mom's computer to my hard drive, and copy it over-the-network.

23. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

5:50

Arrive at the Apple store.

I see a somewhat tall young man lifting... a giant iPod Nano. Its a display.

I turn right and head for the geni... the iPods. Wow. That new nano. Its ugly on the internet, sexy in person. Just like the 3rd gen Nano.

Anyways, I stand around, looking at the screen... 'Mac: 1.Rico B.'

Just in time, I sit down, there are a few empty seats, and a person in a blue shirt says he will be right with me, and he takes care of something else. A person in an orange shirt asks me what I need help with, but when the blue shirt employee says he is taking care of my appointment, he then asks me what I need help with. I explain I tried the funny keyboard combos, and whatever, and that it wouldn't turn on. He talks to the genius, trademarked with the black shirt. He says stuff about removing the battery and some other stuff.

He explains he isn't one of the geniuses, but he will check with that, while the genius is talking to a blackbook owner. 5 minutes pass after he checks the macbook, standard but easy procedure, and the Genius is done. I explain to him all the stuff, and that I suspect the logic board, and he agrees. It is later learned that an apple store that serves south texas and north mexico gets only 1 of those cases a month, and that I have the ever-so-rare case of a defect that came out past warranty. I asked if I could repair it myself, and he said it would be possible, and he said that as I seem technically able to do it, I could save around 200 to 300 dollars, from the $600 cost to repair

Well, it looks like it is really 100 dollars, and my dad said I should just get a lower end PC.

I missed the features I had on my Mac. the ever so subtle details... they all are missed. Like two finger scrolling, easy control of volume, brightness and dimming...

Jeez, this sucks. And Apple won't pay for it.

Just a lesson learned here: You can be the one out of a thousand who has a late bloomer of a defective MacBook. BUY APPLECARE.