Macbook wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ricasam, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Ricasam macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new to this forum so i hope i can get some help here.

I cleaned my keyboard this morning with some wet towelettes that said in the container that can be used on computers and keyboards. I turned my macbook before doing this. A short time later, i turned on my macbook without any trouble. After using it for a little while, some keys started to malfunction (they would either not respond or would get stuck) It started with the volume adjustment keys. I turned the macbook off, figuring that a restart would solve the problem. It turned on without any problem, but the keys were still failling. I repeated the shut down a couple of times, but after that, my MB wouldnt turn on. Can someone please tell me how i can solve this.
    I am EXTREMELY worried because my MB is a vital business tool for me.

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would suggest removing the battery for 30 minutes and placing near heat or in sunlight. Hopefully the water damage stickers weren't activated.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you cannot remove the keyboard, I would suggest playing a warm hairdryer over the keyboard for a while, being careful not to allow it to get too hot. It sounds like you've got a bit of water on the key contacts.

4. Ricasam thread starter macrumors newbie

ah

Thank you for your help! I will deffinitely try that. I placed my reading lamp over the keyboard since it emanates some heat without it becoming TOO hot. I did not, however, remove the battery :S I'll do that this time. I will also do the hair dryer tip.

New developments though. I was downstairs on my other computer, and i heard a long "beeeeep" (actually i heard it twice, but the first time i thought it was some tv background noise) I went upstairs to see if it was my macbook and saw the apple was lit!! But quickly shut down again.

I think (and hope) that it's fixing itself, lol, semi-magically. lol. Any and every other tip will be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks everyone! what a great community!

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

How wet were you getting the keyboard? Was there actually liquid pouring down through the keyboard?

6. eman macrumors 6502a

If any liquid went through the keyboard, pull the battery out (and magsafe) and let the macbook dry and keep your fingers crossed.

7. Ricasam thread starter macrumors newbie

New developments

No, there was no liquid pouring down. In fact there was barely any liquid. I managed to turn it on last night but the keyboard was completely non-responsive. Only the track pad and its button worked. I think i fryed the keyboard :(

This morning i couldnt get the macbook to turn on again. It's starting to look like i'm going to have to get another top case and keyboard (which i was planning to anyway cause i had a crack on my topcase and it was driving me crazy) Unless someone else has another solution??

Thanks again everyone!!

8. NEAME macrumors member

NEAME

Alcohol

What kind of computer cleaner fluid did you use? Info could help others in their selection of cleaner fluids. I suggest you get some 90 rubbing alcohol and re-clean before you check out repair or replace. I'm not saying that this will correct the problem but it sure is a inexpensive fail safe.