macbook won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by magneto259, Oct 8, 2009.

1. magneto259 macrumors newbie

Hello all i'm a mac newbie and have a problem. I got a macbook as a fixer upper and it is dead in the water. It won't turn on but the screen did flicker once. The magsafe adapter keeps flashing amber and green. Which i believe means there is a problem. I tried looking up magsafe flash codes but couldn't find a good list. When the power button is pressed nothing happens at all with exception of the one time the screen flickered. I called a local shop that works on apple equipment and the said it could be the adapter(but not likely), magsafe board, inverter board, or the logic board. I took out the inverter board and it looks fine under a microscope and i buzzed out the connectors which all showed a connection to one or the other. I don't know if they are correct or not since i don't have a wiring diagram for it. By the was i also tried to fire it up without the ram in, hard drive and battery and still no go. I looked up inverter boards and all it shows is the ones for the lcd backlighting. Would this cause a flashing magsafe adapter and no start condition? If anybody else has had this problem and fixed it or any suggestions I would be really greatful. Thanks in advance!

2. magneto259 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops i mean i checked out the magsafe board not the inverter board. Thanks!

3. magneto259 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another quick question will a different logic board fit in this or do i need to get the same processor speed to work with the existing drives and such. Here are my system specs
    Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Product Family: MacBook
    Processor Speed (per Core): 2 GHz
    Screen Size: 13 inch
    Processor Configuration: Dual Core
    Included Memory (RAM): 1 GB
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

4. magneto259 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i pulled the logic board out and im checking it out under the scope and don't see any cooked components but some of the solder looks like crap! Does anyone know of common components that fail on these boards? Thanks in advance!

5. magneto259 thread starter macrumors newbie

I slowly started piecing it back together and when the battery connector isn't hooked up the magsafe adapter won't flash green and amber anymore. It just stays solid green. I tried booting the system with everything unplugged but still a no go. Im wondering if the keyboard and power button are bad? I can't find which pins to jump to see if i can start her up without the keyboard. Oh and when the magsafe charger is hooked up I can poke around and find voltages on components all over the board and the processor is generating some heat so I know its getting juice but the fan isn't spinning? Thanks in advance!
    Oh and will all the components hookup and work with this logic board the one currently in it is a core2duo? Apple Macbook 1.83Ghz Logic Board 661-4218 Motherboard