Macbook won't turn on.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by megamanbnmaster, Mar 5, 2010.

1. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

So this morning I woke up and went to press the power button of my Macbook, but nothing happened. I noticed that there is no white IR light and the fan doesn't respond. I checked the battery, it was at full. The power cable was also green when i plugged it into the Macbook. However, it still wouldn't turn on.

Just a general comment, I use the Macbook as a printer server and to browse the internet, so nothing intensive is forced onto the Macbook.

So then I tried resetting the SMU, didn't work. I tried turning it on with only battery , and then with only power source, both didn't work either.

I have never spilled anything on this macbook, never dropped it, smashed it, or abused it in any way. However, it is 2 years old and I never bought Applecare (Usually, if something is defective, it will show within the first 30 days). I assume it's a logic board failure, and it's going to cost around 700 to fix (which i'd rather just get a new macbook).

I was wondering if anybody know of a reason why the logic board broke, or if there is any remedies that i haven't tried yet?

Also, I'm thinking of pawning it off on ebay and then save up and wait for the Macbook Pro refresh. Does anyone have an estimate on how much I can get for a broken Macbook (screen is fine, 4gb of ram (i might replace it w/ 2gb instead) 250 gb HD (might replace with 80gb HD instead), 2.0 ghz c2d (prbly useless cuz the logic board is fried)

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Think back before this morning. Were there any issues with it? Was it crashing more than it should have, running slow, applications quitting?

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Remove the battery and disconnect the power. Wait for a few hours and try it again. Meanwhile, go to ebay and can search for "macbook repair". There are people who repair dead logic board for $2-300. You could contact them and see what they can offer.

4. megamanbnmaster thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't believe it has. There was lag in Dock, where I had to go to terminal and type in 'Killall Dock' but once the dock restarted it seemed to run fine.

I tried that, but still to no avail. I don't find this macbook worth more than 100 dollars to fix (unfortunately) so I'll see. I wonder if I can sell it for 300 dollars....

Once I find my tools, i'll take it apart and see if i can see any damage on the logic board. I'll report my findings here!

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You could sell it for scrap and buy a 2008 or 2009 refurb one with good specs :D

6. megamanbnmaster thread starter macrumors 6502

I would most likely sell it and keep the money for a new refresh. As much as I love refurbs, the c2d will feel old to me. I still have my iMac and an Acer Timeline so I'm still fine for portability and home use.