Macbook won't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matasar, Feb 3, 2009.

1. matasar macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been posted previously, I tried to find a previous thread to answer the question but found none.

New Al MB, otherwise very happy with it. However, twice now when I've run the battery down (as recommended to keep the battery healthy), and then put it to sleep and plug it in, when I try to wake it up later, it won't start. Powering on and off just lead to a little "click-whirr" and the power light pops on and off, but no action.

I called applecare and they said to unplug it, take the battery out, leave it out for a bit, then put it back in, then plug it back in, and restart it. It worked (although the second such crash, it took two tries for unclear reasons).

Needless to say, this is a bit frustrating. Is this a known problem? Should I do something to avoid it? Is it a lemon?

Advice and insight are warmly appreciated.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

If it does it repeatably, to the point that you can re-produce it every time, make an appointment with a local Apple Store to have them test it. Run the battery down until there's about 5-10 minutes left before taking it in, and then reproduce the problem for them. It sounds like a problem with the mainboard. 1st gen MacBooks had a random shutdown issue where upon restart they would power up for a few seconds and immediately shutdown. I had one that did it, and they swapped out the mainboard and heatsink assembly to fix it.

The issue you are having is definitely not normal.

3. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I had this problem once, but then I realised it was my mistake because brightness was all the way to the bottom, maybe try increase the brightness? If not, restart the computer.

4. brikro macrumors member

If you have the ISTAT installed removed it!!!
    this is the problem!
    trust me remove it and the problem will gone

5. matasar thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have iStat installed, and it's definitely not a brightness thing (LOL).
    It's helpful just to know that it's not "normal" -- I'll give a test run to see if I can reproduce the event a third time under similar circumstances, and if so then I guess I go visit the 5th Ave Geniuses and cash in on my applecare.