Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
It has been happening a lot lately, i try to wake my unibody Macbook from sleep and it just won't wake up, when i close the lid, the light is on, when i open the lid, it goes off but nothing happens, just an off display..

I just turn it off from the button and start again, then i get a kernal panic.

What would be the reason?

oh i am on snow leopard, 4GB RAM btw.

riverboat bob

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
sound asleep macbook pro

My wife got MBP this summer on closeout for good price. Kids use if for video, mp3, etc, word docs, a little internet, youtube. Worked fine until just last week. Got put to sleep mode. Would not wake. I have been mac user for many years. My old G4 has a little sleep problem if I run an old pgm that uses OS 9. But I can get it back with commands to force quit and then restart. The MBP really stumped me. Tried what Apple Site showed. Then tried several other things. Seemed like disconnecting power, taking out battery and then try the Pram reset followed by force quit command, then putting battery back in and plugging in power allowed start with power button. Have done this on 2 occasions, which got it to start up. I am now having them shut down instead of using sleep. I don't know if should have it looked at or not. Everything else seems okay.:cool:

trojandude28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2006
So Cal
:apple: Likes to repair the logic board in this case a lot. I've seen it be the OS a lot though too so maybe an archive and install

elliotc

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
I have been having this problems for MONTHS and have been incredibly frustrated with it. I'm a competent user and have tried EVERYTHING. I've constantly lurked boards hoping to find a solution that will work and TODAY ON CHRISTMAS I saw a new suggestion and tried it AND IT WORKED. It only took 15 seconds and I can't believe how simple it is. There's some bug when it searches for preferred wireless networks when it wakes.

Go to System Preferences> Network> Airport Advanced

Then remove any Preferred Networks from the list that you don't use (mine had a bunch from hotels, airports, and friends' houses). And you're done.

WTF Apple?

edit: I'm using a MacBook Pro 17" unibody, running 10.6.5

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.