MacBook wont work when woken up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PowerFullMac, Sep 28, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

When I close my MacBook and it goes to sleep it seems fine, but when I open it up again I am either welcomed by a completely blank screen where the sleep light is either off or it stays on (no flash thingy).

The only way to fix it is hold the power button until it turns off then boot it up again.

Why? Anyone know how to fix it?

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Could it be the brightness? External keyboard? Sometimes if you plug in something while it's asleep the computer gets stuck in the 5th Dimension. Instead of holding the power button, try putting it to sleep again.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It might be the brightness, actually, I will check next time.

I do try closing and opening it again but it does no good.

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yeah i had similar problems with 2 macbooks here at work. and the sleep light is on, not flashing, and the screen is completely black but i can here the computer running.

so far all we can do is shut down the machine and turn it on again. if anyone know what the deal is that would be wonderful.

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I'm gonna repair the permissions later and see if that helps.

Good thing is its probably a software bug since it just started happening recently to our MacBooks, so hopefully the next update will fix it if repairing the permissions dosent.

6. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

My Macbook was doing that so I took it into Apple, they sent it off and changed out the LVDS cable. They said something about the cable being bad and that it sometimes did not send and receive a signal from the screen so it did not come back from sleeping.

7. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I hope I dont have to send my MacBook off to Apple :(

8. Priscilla macrumors newbie

My macbook give me a grey screen and question mark.

Hi

I have a macbook and it a 2007 version. When I turned on the power, it gives me a grey screen and question mark.

Anyone has the same problem and how you solve it?

Thanks in advance.

9. CavesOfTQLT macrumors newbie

Well in my case I've found the following issue when using 10.4.11:

I use a NAS device on my wireless network, and I've found that if I turn it off when the Macbook's asleep I'll then get the continuous black screen/beachball when I try to waken it back up. I found this issue out because one morning I had the beachball on screen for about five minutes and was about to use the power switch when I noticed the NAS was off. So I turned the NAS on, and within one second of the NAS beeping to say it was available the password screen reappeared.

I've noticed other issues too when it comes to network operation using Tiger, in that if you try to mount a network share that's not available it locks the computer up for a while. I'm wondering whether these annoyances have been ironed out on Leopard or do they still exist?

10. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Some 2007 models had HD problems, your HD probably died.

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I have a similar thing happening sometimes but I dont use a NAS device... Usually I just close it and open it again and the password screen comes up again.

I have Leopard with all the updates installed, BTW.

12. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It just happened again!

What will happen is either the screen will come on but just show up blank except the beachball or it will not even come on and the sleep light wont come on... I dont think its just a display cable either because it dosent even do that drive noise.

13. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Does anyone know how to fix this yet? After installing the new batch of updates it happens a LOT more frequently.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It is not normal, and it needs to be repaired. Before you take it to Apple, if you wish, reinstall OS X from the restore disk and see if it fixes the problem.

15. oli84 macrumors newbie

16. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

First article looks promising, I will delete those files turn off the AirPort and Bluetooth before I put it to sleep... Lets hope this works!

And lets hope Apple fix this soon!