MacBook+World of Warcraft???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Revstyle, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Revstyle macrumors newbie

I am not a real computer gamer besides WOW and I I want to buy a MB.
    My budget only allows me to stick to the MB and not the MBP unfortunately.
    Can I get by performance wise with the MB or should I just assume that it's not for gaming,period?

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It will play... barely. You might like it but i didn't like the speed at all when i had it.

3. ryanw183 macrumors newbie

ryanw183

Much like you, I was a little hesitant about purchasing a MacBook that could play WoW. But I went ahead and bought one anyways since I had no intention of making it my primary gaming machine (that's what my custom gaming rig is for).

But I did install WoW on my new 2.2Ghz SR MacBook. I'm getting about 20+ fps on it with pretty much middle of the road graphics settings. Perfectly acceptable smooth motion for me.

I did upgrade to 2gigs of RAM though, But I don't know if that makes that much of a difference.

Bottom line... The latest MacBooks will play World of Warcraft just fine. :D

Enjoy!

-Ryan

4. Thrawn macrumors member

The 2.2GHs macbook should run WOW at around 12fps at top graphics settings.

5. Revstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am kinda on the fence so far. If I break my budget I can get the MBP and worries settled. Then I get the quandary of waiting or not for the "new" models hopefully in March? This will be my first Mac so I am really anxious to get playing with my new toy. I know I will be happy either way, but it's always nice to hear from people in-the-know.:)

6. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I've played wow extensively on a 1.67ghz G4 powerbook with the 128mb ati card and a 2.0 (non SR) MB that is listed in my sig. Both machines run WoW just fine at decent settings. While the MB's integrated chip was not as good as the older PB, wow is still perfectly playable on an MB.

Don't break the bank if all you are going to do is play wow. Use the leftover cash to up your hd, buy a good external, and add 2 gigs of third party ram.

7. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

Yes, it works. I've tried it on my original (pre-C2D) MacBook, and it was playable on medium settings (this was before TBC, though). The newer ones have faster CPUs and much better graphics (which is what was holding the old ones back), so it will definitly work.

8. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Well I can run it. I don't have a macbook, but the integrated graphics in it are older than the 950!