MacBook worth the price??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3dflyboy1, Jul 11, 2011.

1. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

hello, I was just wondering if anybody thinks that forking out $900-1200 for a MacBook (or MBA) is worth it? I could get a pc with similar processing power, same RAM, etc for around half the cost of a Mac. What are the pros of an uber-expensive Mac? Do they justify that price tag? I'm kinda on a budget for a new laptop...

Can you tell I don't have a mac? (yet) :p

2. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for my noob question guys...

Anybody have opinions they would like to share?

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

A Mac costs more b/c of unnecessary (but nice to have) luxuries. If you're on a tight budget though, just get a well-equipped Windows machine as it'll work fine.

4. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Whatever you do, don't buy a MacBook. You can get a baseline 13" MacBook Pro at Micro Center for the same price as a MacBook. Another good deal is Apple's refurb site. The refurbs are like-new, but 15% off new. Of course, you could always buy a $600 Windows machine. I can almost guarantee that you won't be as happy as if you'd bought a Mac, though.

5. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

The plastic macbook is not worth it...it still has Core 2 Duo processors which are quite outdated....the MacBook Pro or the upcoming MacBook Air (that will have Sandy Bridge) will be much more worth the price.

6. AshMan macrumors regular

It depends on your use. A lot of good advice here. I'd go with a 13" pro if you can get it for similar price

If going windows, you have way too many options to consider. If I were buying a pc today not a Mac. Lento or asus would be my choices.

7. molala macrumors 6502a

The current MacBook is an old model (>12 months ago) so it isn't worth the price. As others said, if you are considering a Mac, go MBP or wait for the next MacBook or get a PC.

The whole MacOS experience is great, but the current MacBook is still overpriced.

8. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

To directly answer the bold question, for the extra money you pay for:
    Unibody solid exterior (either aluminum or plastic).
    Mac OSX Lion (soon), the best OS for many out there.
    Great trackpad, which combined with OSX gives a really nice experience using the laptop.
    And if you're looking @ macbook air, extremely slim and light!

My tip for you: Do not buy a macbook (the white one) until it is refreshed. If you don't want to wait, you better buy a macbook pro (aluminum) or a macbook air IN 1-2 weeks. Not now, new models at the same price for the macbook air are released very soon, be careful.

PS: If you have the money for an apple laptop, get it. You'll like it a lot better than any other laptop. (Unless you're a gamer, in which case erase everything I said and go pc.)

9. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!!! That's basically everything I wanted to know. :)