Macbook wouldn't start, stuck with apple sign and spinning wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MayaRivera, Feb 5, 2010.

1. MayaRivera macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my 2006 macbook has not been able to start. First it didn't even have the chime, then I read through some threads in this forum and figured out that one of my RAMs was not properly put in. I fixed that, now I get the chime, the apple sign, and a spinning wheel and I am stuck there forever.

I tried:
    resetting PRAM, didn't help.
    start from safe boot, still stuck with apple sign and spinning wheel.
    boot from installation CD by holding either the "C" or "D" key, it would not start from the CD.

Curiously, I can start it in Windows and I am using Windows right now. Some threads said that it could be a hard drive problem, but if I am using Windows, does it mean that my hard drive is fine?

I've already spent 800+ fixing the logic board in 2008 b/c of a water spill and really don't want to spend any meaningful amount of money to fix this 1000 bucks or so laptop. If any hardware is in jeopardy, I'd rather just throw it away. However, I would like to at least be able to start it in Mac OS once so that I can back up my documents.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to do?

2. ZazenZach macrumors member

sounds like it may be a software issue.

did you boot from cd and do and archive and install?

if all else fails, i would erase the entire hard drive clean and reinstall a new os. that should work

if that doesn't, then you know it's a hardware issue and are most likely screwed w/out applecare

3. MayaRivera thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to do an archive and install or even erase and install, but it didn't recognize the CD when I put the CD in and pressed "C."

Would it be a hardware issue even though I can use Windows on this macbook just fine? I really hope not.

Thanks though.

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

What happens when you try to boot from CD?

If you have access to another Mac you can try to boot yours in target disk mode and see if you can access the drive from the other system through FireWire.

5. MayaRivera thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing happens. It just goes to the grey screen with the apple sign and spinning wheel as if I didn't put the CD in. I can hear the optical drive trying to read it though.

Yeah, maybe I should try the target mode. Thanks!

6. JMartin23 macrumors member

my imac is currently doing this too.. its stuck on the apple and spinning wheel.

:-/