Macbook & WoW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Doublewire, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Doublewire macrumors member

Doublewire

I intend to buy the new Macbook as soon as I can afford it. I was wondering if anyone had tried playing World of Warcraft on it, and how it runs. I'd seen some other posts on the WoW forums but the WoW forums are kind of a mess, so I just wanted some confirmation. Thanks!

2. timestoby macrumors 6502

3. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

I have the alu MB with 2.4ghz and 4gb ram and it runs WoW very well. I very rarely dip below 40 fps with most settings maxed. It's night and day compared to the previous MBs.

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'm getting 25+ FPS with a 2.0Ghz, 2GB ram, and maximum graphics setting.

5. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Runs perfect on my 2.0...

Only place that tends to get nuts is in Shatt, but...even then, not bad at all :D

6. CaMSpoon macrumors newbie

What's with the almost double frames more on the 2.4?
    Or is it the double ram doing that? who's lying?

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Also I had everything maxed out on the 2.0GHz, he did not on the 2.4GHz. I could get those numbers if I tuned a few settings down, which I will. I just wanted to post my numbers with everything maxed out.

9. bluesTank macrumors regular

Here is a vid for Warhammer Online being played the 2.4 Ghz with standard 2gb RAM

http://www.obsessable.com/news/2008/10/16/warhammer-online-on-a-macbook-2008-running-xp/

It runs surprisingly well on high settings (I don't really see any drop in FR in the video). He eventually slides a certain setting (I am not sure what it is) all the way to maximum and so everything is maxed out and it runs playablely well with a few hang ups, but not much.

10. Mitsune macrumors newbie

Oddly enough I just finished playing an AV before looking into the forums.

WoW runs just fine. Even with it's' default custom settings that it initially setups, the game is smooth as butter. The downfall is that the system gets pretty warm and the fan kicks in as soon as anything graphic intensive comes about. I can post some screenshots if you want.

11. bluesTank macrumors regular

Please do.

I would like to be able to compare to my old ass Dell I have been using.

So it runs well, even with heavy content, such as in an AV and such?

12. Mitsune macrumors newbie

Yeah, it runs AV really well. The frames sometimes drop down to the 20's when there's intense, crazy action, but overall it carries a good 40 - 80 fps. I'm going to double check once I finish up some of my papers.

All these screenshots are based off of my WoW settings. I'll post my settings in a bit, but it's really no different from the default; it removes all the prettiness to get a good set of constant, smooth frames. :)

World of Warcraft in:
    - Alterac Valley: Full on Action versus a Small, Semi-Battle
    - Arathi Basin
    - Undercity
    - Windowed Mode

Default, Installed Video Settings: one, two, and three.

All based on my little MacBook.

13. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Those pictures look really good. Thanks for being the first one ever to post WoW anything on the new Macbooks.

In all honesty, I don't know why the Apple store will not have a live demo of Wow running on their Macbooks and Macbook Pro's at all times. You know how much that would solve our buy or don't buy decisions?

Thanks again. Looks promising.:)

14. Mitsune macrumors newbie

Not a problem. I'm uploading more snapshots as we speak. :D

But yeah, the Apple store should run live demos of WoW and Spore. Right now I just finished an AV where I can confirm that the fps never dropped below 17-19! I was amazed how the MacBook handled that battleground.

Check this thread again in a few minutes when I'm done uploading more snapshots with my personal WoW video settings. :)

Another set of WoW Snapshots:
    - Shattrath City (and in Window Mode)
    - Alterac Valley Starting Zone (and in Window Mode)
    - Alterac Valley Belinda Action
    - Alterac Valley Battles One and Two

A Few Tips Before Playing:
    Make sure to change your F1 - F2 Keyboard Settings before playing.

My WoW Video Settings can be seen here and here.

I hope this help for the people who think about playing WoW on their new MacBooks. :)

15. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

Doublewire

Thank you very much, this influences my considering buying a Macbook versus buying an iMac.

16. Mitsune macrumors newbie

No problemo. :)

I'm trying to find other games to run in Mac OS X natively without using / installing Windows onto my MacBook. I guess Warcraft 3 + Expansion will be my next test.

If anyone else want other screenshots of WoW (horde / alliance / instances / raids / battlegrounds) via MacBook, just say the word and I'll try it out.

17. Jonesy85 macrumors member

Even with the majority of your settings on low you're still getting only 20fps in certain areas? I was really hoping we'd get to have all the setting on high for WoW...

18. Mitsune macrumors newbie

I don't know, but I think you're expecting a lot from an integrated graphics card.

If you do want all bloom and the snaz that WoW would look like upon a desktop system, I'd suggest to look into the MBPro's performance. That system has a dedicated video card that will enable more frame output and a better performance.

Otherwise, I think WoW is very suitable to play on the new MacBooks. If I can keep up with top DPS and HKs in the past several AV's, then this notebook is more than enough for my standards. Just for reassurance I'm going to set all the video settings to high and show you what it will look / run like. :)

//Edit

You really expected more fps under these circumstances? Remember that the system is holding up a constant 40 - 60 fps until dramatic occurrences, battles and events occur. I think you should look at what's going on again.
    - Alterac Valley Battles: One and Two

19. Jonesy85 macrumors member

For some reason I had thoughts of WoW running well below 30fps in most situations. I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought the MB was horrible. WoW is the main game I'll be playing on mine (Which I just got today and love, by the way), so I had an unrealistic wish of being able to play the game on high settings. Thanks, though, for posting your results with WoW. Once I get it updated I'll get to test it out.:)

20. Mitsune macrumors newbie

Cool. Let me know how the game runs under your settings and post up the results. :)

Also, remember to put a cap on the frames (/console maxfps 60). It makes the system run smoother and a tad bit cooler. Earlier I left the fps run crazy from 40 to 130 and the system's fans kicked in immediately and started warming up. I then cap my frames at 61 to refrain that from ever happening again.