Macbook & XP networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iag25, Jan 21, 2009.

1. iag25 macrumors newbie

I have a network with windows xp and macbook running it. The problem I have is that the macbook can browse through my xp computer, yet I haven't shared the computer or any folder in it. How do I lock it from viewing my content.

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Put a password on your xp computer? I think there is somewhere in the options where you can toggle sharing on and off, i think you have to go into network preferences

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its the PC's fault, on the Windows PC make an admin password,

1. Open My Computer from the Start Menu or Windows XP Desktop. A new My Computer window will appear.
    2. Open the Tools menu and choose the "Folder Options..." option from this menu. A new Folder Options window will appear.
    3. Click on the View tab and locate the "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" checkbox in the list of Advanced Settings.
    4. To enable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is checked. To disable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is not checked. Click inside the checkbox to alternately enable and disable the option.
    5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window. The settings for Simple File Sharing are now updated; no computer reboot is required.