Macbook yellow tint - worth calibrating?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmeadows, Feb 24, 2010.

1. dmeadows macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Both the Macbook and HP monitor are set to display Adobe RGB, the HP displays really crisp whites, and the MacBook is yellow in comparison. I'm wondering if all Macbooks display colours this way, or is mine faulty? I tend to work on the larger screen, but it'd be good to have the option to use the small one also.

I've considered buying a calibration tool (an overdue purchase) and/or taking it to the Mac store, it'd be a great help if anyone knows if it's a problem that can be fixed at all.

Many thanks,
    Danny

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Try using the in-built calibration in "expert" mode, it's free!

System Preferences
    Displays
    Color
    Calibrate
    Click "expert" mode
    Takes 2 minutes
    It's pretty good, worth a try before spending $$$$

3. dmeadows thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried it, and just tried it again as suggested, whites are still yellow, as it is with every preset. It's a preowned machine, so if anyone actually gets crisp perfect whites with their MacBook, I guess my monitor just needs replacing :/

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Odd
    Looks like the white point is set too low, mine looks like that if I set D50 instead of D65.
    What are you choosing for the white point & does changing it make a difference?
    Quick way to change the white point, turn off expert mode in calibration, you just get a choice of gamma and, on the next page, white point

(I'm not a color expert by the way)

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

It seems unlikely that the display would go yellow due to failure or age.
    If the backlight was going it would get dimmer but the colour wouldn't change. If the digital side was going you'd see artifacts or glitches. If the actual pixel array was failing you'd see unevenness or dead pixels.

6. jbuk macrumors regular

7. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i was told there are 3 diff screen panels. one with a blueish hue..one with a yellowish hue...and one with a normal hue...i was lucky enough to get the normal one.

to find out which one u have go to system pref-> displays->color->open profile->mmod

click that and see what model yours is. the good model, the one they use in the pros too is 9CBE. thats the one i have. im pretty sure you got a diff model. pm me and let me know..

id consider going to apple with it

8. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

wow, never knew about this thanks man!

9. dmeadows thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried SuperCal with no joy, I still can't get a true white.

The model is 9C5C, might it be worth pulling the thing out and finding a replacement 9CBE? The Macbook is preowned and isn't under any kind of warranty, so I'm out of luck as far as that goes.

Thanks for helping guys, it's very much appreciated.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

The most important question: How old is the computer? cant believe this hasn't been asked already.

If it is old, then this is exactly what happens to CCFL monitors over time. I actually quite like it on my monitors - makes them easier on the eyes, although not much good for colour work.

This can't be fixed by calibration, because its a degradation of the light source, not the pixels, that is the problem.

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

Is that true? I thought a CCFL would get dimmer, but not yellower, over time. What mechanism could cause colour changes? The phosphors are pretty stable.

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

AFAIK it is. And every laptop that I have had for a long enough period to judge this (1 PB G4, 1 MBP, 2 MB's and a dell) have all exhibited this over time.

I wonder whether it may be that CCFL light is inherently yellow, and that over time as they loose brightness, this quality of them becomes more apparent.

A few years ago I remember reading it regarding about it with regard to adding a new cinema display to a set up that has had a cinema display already for a couple of years.

13. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

maybe try to find one used? or maybe just go to the apple store and even tho its not under warranty they still might fix it. u might just have to pay labor.

14. Pax macrumors 6502a

Interesting. But even if the native white point has moved, you should still be able to calibrate it back to the white point of your choice, as long as it hasn't moved too far. You'll lose some color gamut that way.

The OP's comment re Supercal seems to show that you are right though...

15. dmeadows thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll fit a new screen at some point, for now it'll have to continue to serve for browsing and toolbars :)

Thanks again guys,
    Danny