Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleNinja, Nov 17, 2007.

1. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

I am a half switcher.. i used a powerbook g3 for about 2 years when my dad gave it to me... it broke about 6 months ago... and have been on a 3 year old pc ever since... I love mac with a passion i live near an apple store and i go there almost everyday =D they know me in person..

Anyway i am switching back now that i have the money.. so im wondering, they just updated the MB to SR and it looks great with the X1300 and i can play all the games that i own... so do i buy now? or wait till macworld? i am happy with it now and i don't think there will be any HUGE updates in january, will there?? can i have some feedback? i have a student discount aswell.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I really don't think the MB will be updated in January, but there is a possibility that a slimline MB is coming...

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i would get it now. it was updated what a few weeks ago. if you want it now get it!!! BTW you might not be able to play EVERY game you want, but it will be much better then the previous version of the integrated graphics. go buy it now and enjoy it!

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

If it's now or MacWorld, buy it now; I doubt MB upgrades in January. Of course, that assumes you want the MB and not a speculated unreleased mac (like a 12" ultra-portable or the like)

But if I were you, I would hold out a few more days and buy it on Black Friday (11/23/07). Last year it was $101 off the MacBook IIRC. Assuming you're buying retail and not student or refurb... and assuming they offer BF deals again.

5. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Buy it now. Everyone is obsessed with waiting, but trust me it's hardly even near IF it's even updated in January, which isn't necessarily true. Chances are it won't bite you in the ass to get it now, plus you can use it now!

6. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

Buy it now... Everyone is always playing the waiting game with Apple products and I just don't get it?! This is how I do it and it's always worked out for me. I buy the product I want at that exact time and then sell it 6 months down the road and get the new model... Macs seem to hold a good value so you can always have the newest version for a minimal semi annual "fee" :p

It's kinda like buying a new car every year... but less depreciation.

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I would say def buy it now. I expect the fabled slimline macbook to come with a $500 premium just like the 12" powerbook.

8. bevo macrumors regular

i just got a mb sr and loving it. I doubt any major changes are on the horizon. I would have loved an ultra portable laptop, but it would have come at a premium and I doubt apple would have put in a dedicated gpu due to battery life issues.

buy now if you want a mb. I went for the amazon.com $75 off deal. Comes out cheaper with free shipping, no tax, etc.

9. macdim macrumors 6502

I also suggest buying now. I have one of these, and it is excellent.

10. AppleNinja thread starter macrumors member

AppleNinja

thanks guys this was much appreciated!! *pulls out wad of cash and waits till black friday =D*

11. GStreakT macrumors member

I say buy it now. There's no "safe" time to buy anything from Apple, especially seeing that both kinds of notebooks have gotten significant upgrades recently. Apple's pretty sly in its schedule:

In Jan, there's MacWorld where they announce new Macs and things, but no one really buys it 'cause there'll be bugs and everyone would want a review on new products before buying. Then it gets to around March or April where newer stuff from Apple is released (and patches). But even then people wait for summer promos and such which hits by June and goes on till September. And then finally there's the holiday season that people wait for for better deals and so on.

I feel that any major upgrades to both these line of notebooks won't happen right away. If you want the subnotebook or the slimeline or whatever, then maybe you should wait and watch, if not just get it now.

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Much better? You're smoking....

http://www.barefeats.com/mbook.html

The Macbook still sucks for gaming. If you game, it's NOT a laptop to even consider.;)

13. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the SR bump is not a huge difference.. But I disagree with your conclusion. I would have revised it to read "If you're a serious gamer, you shouldn't consider the SRMB".

If you only game a bit and don't mind running at lower-than-native resolution with some of the bling turned off, you get some half decent speeds from the SRMB (as opposed to the 2.16 MB).

14. AppleNinja thread starter macrumors member

AppleNinja

thats me the little gamer... yea i don't like computer games that much console is much better =D HALO 3!!! but i have some older rts's that i love to play (by old i mean like 2 years.) checked the stats and they work with it =D

15. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I just had to quote myself here. Apple just announced they will be having a black friday sale so I would strongly suggest buying on Friday if you can deal with the hordes of shoppers. Who knows what sorta deals they'll have on the MB, but it's better than now for sure.