Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nismo86, Dec 10, 2007.

1. nismo86 macrumors member

I've been looking and I want to purchase the 13.3" macbook with the 160GB that is in the price range of $1300.

Now, I've been reading and I know mac world is coming up in Jan, Should I wait to see what happens for a update on this laptop, or since the update was in nov. is it going to be the same?

I will be using for photoshop and I will install the 4 gigs of RAM, I know people say to get a pro but for $700 more I don't see it worth that much to me.

I will be using to surf the net, photoshop, maybe do some video editing, burning DVDs and trying new things out with it that I can't do with my PC now.

I own a HP pavilion zv5000 currently.

Any advice would be great, as I was going to pick this up in about 9 hours, but now I'm deciding if I should wait. PLEASE HELP!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes $700 is very expensive for that amount of RAM, you can get 4GB from crucial for US $159.99 and I am pretty certain they aren't the cheapest place either.

The ram is very easy to upgrade by yourself, all you need is a small philips screwdriver.

Do you need a computer before mac world, if you do not then it might be worth waiting to see what comes out.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Yeah it was just updated less than a month ago so just wait for Macworld :rolleyes:

Anyway, Macworld may introduce a Laptop Priced above the current Macbooks, and below the Macbook pro, but who knows.

Additionally, photo editing on the glossy Macbook screen has 2 problems. 1: The screen is too small. 2: The colors will not be accurate.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The size works pretty well for me. And it's not like green is displayed as blue; the colour replication isn't too far off. Pros wouldn't like it, but not everyone is a pro.

5. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Should I go for the macbook pro? Would 13.3" be too small for photoshop?

I will be doing photoshop and i'm pretty big on photography, it's one of the main reasons I will be buying a new laptop, cause mine's so slow. I will not be doing ANY gaming on my new laptop.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The MacBook will be fine. If you need a bigger screen (which you probably won't), spend the savings on a 20" display.

7. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Should I just wait and see what comes out for the macbook? Does it seem the macbook will be slimmer, lighter and have the LED back lights? I'd like that but I don't really want the flash drive. I want to spend around $1300 but I read that if there's a "new" one with all listed above with the flash drive it'll be $1700-1800, do you think they'll make one without the flash but with led back lights and still be $1300?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is all down to speculation, the only answer you will get to these questions is from Mac world.

However apple wouldn't jack up the price from 1300 to 1700. They would keep a product priced at 1300 otherwise they would lose even more of the ultra competitive low end laptop market which the MB falls right at the very top of.

9. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Do you think the macbook is going to have any new things added?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not sure, I think it may get an LED screen if all the MBPs do but it was recently updated.

11. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Should I wait, or should I buy now? Do you think they'll drop in price?

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you need a computer now?
    Does the current Macbook fill your needs?
    Would you be upset if apple updated it at macworld?
    Do you live near an apple store? - so you can check it out for yourself

Only you can answer these questions as it depends on personal circumstances.

13. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

1) No
    2) Yes, but I'd like the backlight on the keys and thats about it
    3) Not really unless they came with backlights on the keys and the price stayed the same
    4) somewhat

14. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I agree with this. I didn't go this route personally because I already have a desktop setup. A Macbook with a decent external monitor for editing would be fine. Depending on how mobile the user is.

15. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Can't decide if I want to buy one now, or wait for the mac world thing...

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Macbook won't get updated a macworld they just updated it. It defiantly won't have the backlight keyboard. That's for the pro's.

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

just get it now. They are awesome machines. I still love mine 18 months after I bought it.

18. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

if you don't need it now. Wait. It's only 5 weeks, and wanting is better then having (atleast for a small while anyway) you will enjoy dreaming of it and it'll make getting it even more.

Besides, if you wait, the current line of macbooks may start appearing in the refurb store saving you EVEN MORE! and that is always good.... so really it's win win, they release something you want, you get it, they don't do any changes and then you can grab a new version in the refurb store and you save mucho dinero! :)

19. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm going to purchase today. Should I purchase the one with a 120GB HD or the 160GB HD?

20. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Glad you're going to buy. I'm a pro photographer and I'm more than happy using my Macbook with Photoshop - just stick in 4Gb of RAM and link it up to a good external monitor and a nice large Firewire HDD and you're away :)

Having a small laptop for carrying on the road makes up for any issues with the glossy screen I may have - I just do a final proof check on the big screen when I get home.

Additionally, a properly calibrated screen makes the difference in the matte and glossy options much less, so I'd recommend getting a HueyPro too.

21. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Is hueypro a calibrator program? Could I get photoshop for a cheaper price because I owned it for PC and i'm a college student?

BTW, I purchased a macbook with 160GB this morning!

22. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

I deleted the system Prefs off the bottom bar, how do I put it back there? I'm such a newbie, also under places I added the system prefs there, I don't want it there how do I get rid of it there?

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Just Drag System Preference back into the dock. I Don't understand the rest so somebody else could help you.

24. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

And Crucials the more expensive stuff. OWC is usually cheaper (same high quality though).

25. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

As far as RAM goes, are any of the RAMs off this list pretty good? I was thinking of the g-skill one to purchase. Of course the correct RAM (5300)