macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i already have an iMac (in the signature), its the most powerful to accomodate my video editing, vista FSX gaming, mulitasking, and to last till im in college, now he wants to get me a macbook to take to school (my school allows them), im worried, is it the right time to buy? is it confirmed that the rumored macbook will actually be a macbook pro? should i wait, macworld is like 33 days away

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is a rumour any answer will be based on rumours. It will only be confirmed when apple release it.

can you wait 33 days to find out?

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

well, im muslim, and in islam, we have this holiday on the 21st, i can get a late gift, the holiday is called eid, its like christmas, or hanukkah :D

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Off topic

I like to think I am not totally ignorant of religion but can you clear something up for me ad if this in anyway highlights my ignorance then I'm glad that I am learning something. It has been a long time since I learnt about this and as atheist I am guilty of forgetting about religion from time to time

My understanding of eid was that it comes at the end of Rammadam (sorry for spellings I have enough trouble with English) and wasn't rammadam in September ish time.

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

last post on this, im getting off topic, there are two eids, one after ramadan, and one 2months later;), ok, back on topic, so do you think i should wait just in case

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So you get two sets of presents :)

My personal view on this is that there may be an update to the macbook line but I don't think there will be. But f course everything is based on rumours/judgement/personal circumstances (i.e. could you delay the present until then, do you need a computer now, would a slight bump in specs bother you, if it changed lots would that bother you)

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There will not be an update to the Macbook line, unless you considered the addition of a 12" Powerbook to be an update to the 12" iBook. If you see a difference between those two models, then you see the difference between a 13" MB and a 13" MBP. The former was updated in November, and will *not* be updated with MBP goodies in January. The latter does not yet exist, but may come into existence in January. In either case, it's simply wishful thinking to imagine tech will come to the MB before it comes to the MBP.

8. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I wouldn't wait if you want a regular MacBook. The new rumored laptop is an "ultra portable" MacBook Pro I believe and it will probably not suit your video editing needs. It would probably also have a very small 64GB flash drive. There shouldn't be a MacBook update for a while because they were just updated recently.

Good luck :)

9. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I believe these are the two biggest Macworld rumors...
    • There will be a 12-13'' MacBook Pro released. This is being called a "sub-notebook," though it's really just a smaller MacBook Pro.
    • The other is that the MacBook will be redesigned with an aluminum casing.
    I'd probably wait. Because at the very least, you'll be able to get the current MacBook technology for cheaper, or, for the same price, you'd get something better.

Only get a MacBook right now if you absolutely NEED it.

10. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I'm surprised they are waiting a few weeks after the holidays to announce any future releases. It would make sense to me to put it on shelves before Christmas to have a boost in the initial sales.

11. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I'd agree, but Apple has always been big on secrets and releasing products at completely random intervals. The "one more thing..." that happens at every keynote gets boring fast, but it's also been used to announce major products, like the 5G iPod, MacBook Pro, 17'' PowerBook, etc.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't agree that the aluminum casing rumour is one of the two biggest MacWorld rumours. You are correct on the first one, but the second big rumour is an iPhone with larger storage or 3G. I think the third biggest rumour is 10.5.2. Because the MacBook was just updated, I don't think we're going to see a MB update. I don't think that Apple wants to change the casing to aluminum- it makes it too MBP-like. I think Apple likes having their consumer level notebook look different than their pro level notebook.

That being said, it's 33 days. I waited longer than that for my SR MacBook, and the rumours of my update happening were way more realistic. Just wait- maybe you can nudge them to get you an Apple Store gift card that you can use after MacWorld '08 (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=D8129E58&fnode=campaigns/holiday&nplm=MA210LL/B)?

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Apple is boosting sale of the current macbook, we are a cult, we buy what we are given.....LOL

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

...Rather, Christmas is the last opportunity to sell through some old stock before the announcement of new stuff in January.

It'll sell regardless over Christmas, so no need to introduce anything new until afterward.

15. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

hmm, this metallic notebook thing is probably going to make me wait, if its a macbook pro, probably not, i wont get it, , if its a macbook, it will be on my desk the day it launches, if its this whole new thing... i'd have to see the specs

16. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I'm sorry to hear that

17. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

There probably won't be a sub-notebook at macworld.

18. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

he he he

Well, even as a Muslim, I'll celebrate anything coming - anything to justify spending money :p

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

An aluminum cased MacBook would be really really cool. :)

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm in a similar situation, but I will wait for MacWorld just in case there is a new MacBook, or in case I'm interested in that sub notebook.

But assuming there is no new MacBook, and instead of a sub-notebook, its just a stupid tablet, which would be a better choice for me to get?

Refurb 2.16GHz Black MacBook, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM
    Reasons: Black, Superdrive, double hard drive size

or

Current 2.0GHz White MacBook, 80GB HD, 1GB RAM (base model)
    Reasons: Santa Rosa, can make use of 4GB RAM

21. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

why are you sorry?

22. Billy Bob macrumors regular

a gay muslim who lives in NZ... that's not something you hear everyday:D

23. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

he he he its all good, we have a pretty relaxed atmosphere down here in NZ - live and let live :D

24. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

am i missing something here?

25. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Ok

I'm Gay
    I'm Muslim
    I own a Mac

Large number of Muslim countries behead/flog/mistreat their gay citizens - claiming they're 'carrying out Sharia law' (whether those who make such claims have any scholarly skills, is debatable).

Add the fact that I don't suffer from anal retention when it comes to life in general, we were simply chuckling over it.