Macbook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by touchyouripods, Mar 28, 2008.

1. touchyouripods macrumors newbie

i do graphic design and work on a pc im in need of updating my pc so im thinking of going mac

i was thinking of going for a 2.4ghz macbook with 4gb of ram updated(not from apple)
    i have got an external monitor here for it if i was going to get it ( as the screen would probably be 2 small for graphic design)
    any other recommendation's

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you can afford it, get the MacBook Pro as the display is much better (plus it's much nicer overall).

If not, I'd recommend an iMac instead. The extra screen space will really make it much nicer.

The MacBook's display isn't cramped, but it's not the most spacious there is...

3. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Although he/she stated that they have an external monitor already.

If you want a good GPU, go for the iMac or Macbook Pro. The Macbook has a limited GPU (integrated) (as does the Mac Mini).

4. touchyouripods thread starter macrumors newbie

*Checks* He

i would like mobility to be an option aswell so that pretty much croses out the imac for the moment so its going be between macbook and macbook pro depending on which i can afford

5. FredT macrumors newbie

I do my design work on a MacBook and I really wish I had a MacBook Pro. Even with the RAM upgrade on the MacBook, Photoshop runs a lot better and faster on a MacBook Pro. And like the others said, if that is too much money, go for the iMac. It seems like you might be using it at a desk anyway, considering you mentioned attaching a display to it?

EDIT: I posted at the same time as you I guess... I didn't see your post about wanting mobility. So it looks like your best bet would be the MacBook Pro, although a MacBook would do the job... just not the best one.

6. illidian macrumors 6502

You don't "need" the MacBook Pro unless you're doing video editing or intense gaming.

The MacBook performs nearly equally well in everything else.

7. EB66 macrumors 6502

8. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Is graphic design your full time occupation? If yes, find a way to stretch to a Macbook Pro. If not, then the Macbook should be fine.

Also, check out the DVI out connection and what it is capable of on the MB and MBP. It would be a shame to have a display stuck at a low resolution.

In Jesus Christ,

GB,

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Find a way to make the MBP work - go refurb or clearance or used if you have to. I've tried CS3 suite stuff on both and the MBP outperformed the MB hands down.

10. touchyouripods thread starter macrumors newbie

11. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

ehhh.....

The current macbooks specs are 2.4 ghz/160-250gbhdd and can go up to 4gb of ram. basicly the same specs as the last generation mbps only difference is the dedicated graphics card really. so how come the mbp will run it faster? photoshop,ilustrator and etc only uses cpu and ram. not the gpu. something must be messing up your computer maybe the hdd is almost full and it lags abit.

i'd say get a macbook. swap out the hdd if needed add 4gb of ram and buy yourself a mini-dvi cord and you're set.

macbookpros are nice but, aren't necessarily needed unless. you want the more screen estate. and planning on playing some games or edit movies.

btw if you want mobility i'd say macbook man. and if you have the cash get an refurb imac and have 2 computers for the price of one mbp

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

From what you've said, the MB would be fine. But I would say go to a store to have a look close-up first.

I would also have a look at some tests, like ones at Barefeats (e.g. http://www.barefeats.com/mbook3.html) to ease your mind about the performance you would get from a MB.

I know people will say that the MBP offers much better performance in the area you need, but I haven't seen much evidence for this in reviews, tests etc.

I know you've said nothing about video editing, but as others have, I'll just mention that as it's an CPU-intensive task, the MBP wouldn't offer much advantage.

13. bigfried macrumors newbie

Thats an interesting link to Barefeats statistics, thanks for that. I too am trying to decide if a Macbook will be sufficient for my needs. I can see from those test results and many comments in these forums that the MB is pretty much on a par with the MBP in terms of processing power, taking a similar time to for example process Photoshop actions, but what concerns me is RESPONSIVENESS, what they are like to actually use to work with. Does the lack of dedicated graphics with the MB affect this. My limited experience with a MB in a store worried me because when I moved the sliders in iPhoto with a sample image they were slow to move and for the affect to be shown in the image, but with the MBP it was instant. Also just this simple working on a small image caused the little navigation floating pallette to go wierd - like interference patterns of lines for a second or so when moving the image. This must be due to a lack of graphic power and I would not be able to work with this. The MB had 2Gb ram and I tried several machines. so maybe with 4Gb it would be better?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The top macbooks and bottom pro are the same speed, both take 4gb RAM, the pro has a bigger screen, a gpu, a sexier look, and more ports. If you don't need that, then get the macbook.

15. Igantius macrumors 65816

Always a good idea to get a hand-on on go with the models you're considering, but I'm a bit surprised by what you found. I've had no such problems with iPhoto with my MacBook and found it snappy - even with 1GB of RAM (although I've upped that now) and was just as happy working on it or my desktop.

I would perhaps ask your question in the MB thread - I don't really use my MB for graphical work, and am sure that a few regular posters will be able to help! However, I would say that user feedback (e.g. on this forum) of people using PS declared themselves to be happy bunnies.