MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Googon, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Googon macrumors member

Okay, so I going to purchase a MacBook and an iPod touch online today, but I don't want to upgrade the RAM to 2GB because I don't want to pay an extra $150.00 when I can do it myself for less than thirty. Is this a wise choice?

Secondly, about iChat. I already made an AIM account to log onto it, but will I be able to add all of my friends from MSN on to iChat? Basically, I am asking if I can add hotmail/msn/live accounts as a friend on iChat.

Third, I am going to need a program that I can type documents in, will this come preisntalled, or do I need to purchase this myself?

Fourth, should I get black of white? :D

Fifth, what is this about geting a Free iPod AND a free printer with the purchase of a Mac computer/laptop? I can use a printer for sure...

Thanks for the help.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

buy the Ram yourself, it's cheaper and very easy.
    iChat supports AOL/Jabber .. you'll need to use something like Adium for MSN
    If you mean a Word Processor, you'll get a trial of iWork and maybe Office 2004
    You can get $100 rebate off a printer from the Apple store.

3. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

1. I upgraded mine myself with some I bought from Crucial. It's super easy and took me less than 10 minutes.

2. Use Adium, you can add friends from any chat program I believe?

3. It comes with TextEdit which is like an upgraded version of Windows' Notepad. You can get MS Office for mac or iWork if you want something akin to Microsoft Office for Windows.

4. Whatever you like/whatever specs you want.

5. Both are rebates that are currently offered... for ipod you get a rebate of up to 319$, with the printer I believe 100$. Edit! As the person below me mentioned, the free ipod rebate is only eligible if you are purchasing both ipod and macbook with the education discount.

4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

whew, thats a doosey of questions

haha

1. yes its a wise choice if you know what your doing. apple gives detailed instructions on the right way to do it as well, so you should be fine
    2. iChat is not compatible with msn/windows live messenger
    3. if your looking for word processing ONLY, then you should be fine with the built in app, text edit. but if you want spreadsheets and presentations, go for iwork or msoffice. (in my opinion iwork is better)
    4. if you get black you wont have to worry about memory bc it starts with 2gb standard. i like the black, but you are paying 100 bucks just for the color. so if money isnt an issue, get black. if it is, get the middle configuration. (white)
    5. the ipod is free only if you get an education discount. and the printer will be $100 with purchase of a new mac. and these discounts are only available online.

phew. now that thats done. good luck!

5. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

ipod rebate is only 299 for ipod touch and 199 for ipod nano, and i was wrong. you can get a free printer, but still with education discounts

6. wightstraker macrumors regular

A wise choice. Apple's RAM prices are ridiculous by anyone's standards.

iChat does not support MSN. Consider using Adium.

TextEdit is preinstalled and can handle most basic word processing. If you need to add footnotes or other doodads to your document and don't want to buy MS Word, try out OpenOffice or AbiWord. They're free.

Black is a gimmick to make you spend more money.

Enjoy your MacBook.

7. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Oops! I didn't check where the OP was from. I'm in Canada, and here it's 319$ for ipod touch, 209$ for the nano. :)

8. Googon thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so can I get the free iPod, and a free printer at the same time? As long as the printer is equal too or less than 100 dollars?

9. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

List of current Apple rebates can be found here (link is for Apple Canada, sorry, don't know where you are from).

Details for the printer rebate can be found on that page, the summary of it is "Purchase an Apple computer and a qualifying printer between July 22, 2008, and October 20, 2008, and receive a mail-in rebate up to $100." So yes - whatever you spend on a printer, you get 100$ back. If you choose a 99$ printer, it's free.

10. Googon thread starter macrumors member

11. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

To be honest I'm not sure if that one meets the requirements or not as I bought from Crucial and they have their own category for mac memory - I'm not sure if there is a difference between mac memory and pc memory? This is the exact upgrade I bought; I have the newest version, mid-range MB. From Crucial I believe there is a free shipping option for US residents, as well.

12. wightstraker macrumors regular

It'll help if you're the type to leave several apps running in the background. It'll also extend the useful life of your laptop.

13. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

How does it do this?:confused:

14. wightstraker macrumors regular

Extra RAM extends the useful life of a computer, not its physical life. If you install extra RAM in a MacBook you're going to be able to do more with it in 5 years than if you'd stuck with stock memory. Can you imagine running on 256 mb of RAM in 2008?

15. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

Ah hah, semantics, I get it now! Thanks! :)