MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MENEGRANDE, Jun 12, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

From what you describe, that sounds like an a1181 Macbook. Buy a GSA-S10N.

http://www.amazon.com/MacBook-GSA-S10N-DVD±RW-Rewriter-Recorder/dp/B0019WIVS6

More reliable than the Panasonic trash, and under $100 new.

Avoid ifixit as their parts markup is high. I usually discourage their guides for making you open things in a terribly over complicated manner, but their optical drive replacement guide is quite good.

3. MENEGRANDE thread starter macrumors newbie

The system profiler is deactivated or not present, when you click on the about this mac, there is a buttom that you can click to get more info on the mac, that buttom is disable.

Also, that 29 USD deal seems good, but I thought that required osx 10.5 installed.. my is 10.4.11..

Thank you!!:D

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The model number should also be visible on the bottom of the MB or can't you even open Applications / Utilities / System Profiler as shown you in the link I gave you?

Also the 29USD version of SL works for Tiger, though it is not "legally" allowed to do so, but it is often recommended here.

5. MENEGRANDE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for helping..

I went through the ifixt it identifyer tool, and with my serial which I found inside where the battery sits, it was determined to be a late 2006 model.

I will go ahead and purchase the 29 $ and use a spare external drive.

I'm not too confident about replacing the drive myself, will head over to a local apple tech and see how much it cost, Im not too concerned about having a drive since I mostly use my USB flash drive.

Thank you again.. You guys are very helpful..:)