Macbook4,1 shut downs on boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kitjarik, Nov 19, 2011.

1. kitjarik macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

One friend has dropped me a Macbook4,1 that "won't turn on". She said smith about a glass of water, spilled on it, then if worked for a while (several weeks or so), then some keys stopped working, then it stopped booting at all.

When I brought it home, i tried to turn it on an it showed me the OS X Login Screen. I didn't know the password, so decided to turn it off. That was the first and the last time i saw it working. Now here's how it works: I press the power button, hear the chime, see the Apple Logo, bang — it turns off. Sometimes it just freezes on Apple logo, showing the spinning progress wheel. Sometimes it turns off on this wheel.

What concerns me is that it could boot when I turned it on for the first time. Which makes me think there might be some easy-to-fix issue with it.

I tried resetting the SMC — that didn't work. I can't Option-boot from USB and Command+S-boot to check the HDD — maybe the keyboard doesn't work or smith is just wrong with EFI.

I'm planning to find a USB-keyboard and try to boot with it. Can anybody confirm that a third-party keyboard will let me Option-boot? (e.g. by pressing the Alt key)

Any other ideas are extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

A third party keyboard will let you option boot.

I suspect the HD may be bad or have corruption. Boot in verbose mode and see what comes on the screen.