MacBook5,2 Multitouch

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jpitcairn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jpitcairn macrumors member

Hi there. I'm new to these here parts. I recently purchased my first mac :) which was one of the new 2009 Macbook's (5,2) and i was wondering if there was a way to get the MacBook Pro multi touch features working on it. I mean if two fingers work why not 3 and 4?

I tried searching and can't see anything about 09 Macbooks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Plastic MacBooks don't have multi-touch trackpads.

3. jpitcairn thread starter macrumors member

I really don't understand how that works.

Multi = more than one

My Macbook does two finger "right clicking" and two finger scrolling. On linux the macbook can pick up 11 gestures at one time so why isn't it possible on OS X?

4. celticpride678

Apparently, Snow Leopard will be adding Multi-Touch gestures to older Macs. Just have to wait and see if that is true or not.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Reports seem to indicate that's only for the 1st generation Air...

OP, it can be referred to as artificial product line separation or even planned obsolescence. If the plastic MacBook had all the features of the Al "Pro" model (which it just about does, short of the vastly improved screen and multi-touch) people wouldn't buy the Pro as readily. Almost every manufacturer does this. Even Intel did this back in the day to differentiate between CPU models (disabled features on the die even though they were there) That doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not quite. Snow Leopard will be adding four-finger gestures to older multi-touch-capable Macs that already support the two and three-fingered gestures.

If you don't have a multi-touch Mac then you won't get multi-touch gesture support.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That bolded statement is 100% false.

That's like saying I bought a Toyota, but a Ferrari can go faster.

Multi is actually more than 2. And your MacBook's trackpad (made by Synaptic) does NOT support 11 fingers, Linux, Unix, Mac OS, Windows or otherwise. I saw demos of 11 fingers on the pre-unibody MacBook Pros, not MacBooks.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'd be curious to meet the guy that demoed this for you. He didn't by chance live next to a nuclear reactor did he?