MacBookAir 11" mid 2012 SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Giuanniello, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Hi all,

I am gonna give my mid 2012 11" MBA to a dear person, the hard drive capacity is only 128GB, to me it's sufficient cos it's not my main computer, I am browsing the web to look for an upgrade to get it to 256GB which would give more room to store pics etc etc

I found the Transcend JetDrive 520 which seems to be the right one for my system, if am correct it also comes with the tool to unscrew the bottom case and an external case to reutilize the original SSD, am I correct till here?

The question is stupid, I am a Mac user since 2002 but now I am in the doubt, once I get the new SSD I have to install the operating system so I guess there is a combination of keystrokes to hit to start the download and installation of Yosemite, I am correct? I gotta performa a clean install so I gotta backup my data, remove the SSD, install the new one and proceed, is there any trick I should know?

Urgent to know now is that if the SSD I chose is correct so I can start and order it, then the clean install procedure.

Thank you

2. motrek macrumors 68020

I don't know if the SSD is the right one, but I can help you with backing up etc.

If the drive comes with an enclosure/connector so you can use it externally, then plug in the new drive via USB.

Copy your current internal drive to the new external drive via a program like SuperDuper! (Shareware.)

Then you should just be able to exchange the drives and it will be indistinguishable from the way it was before, except you will have more drive space. :)