MacBookAir refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by qubex, Apr 14, 2009.

1. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

I currently have a maxed-out mid-2008 MacBookPro 15.4": I quite honestly despise it. Why? Because it's heavy and bulky, but slow compared to my Quad G5 PowerMac (which, I well know, is obsolete by almost all standards).

I figure I could deal with a slower machine, if it were at least light enough to be truly, effortlessly portable. That's why I've focussed on the Air as a "lateral upgrade" to ease my burden. It certainly isn't a supercomputer, but at least it's light enough to slip into my backpack and not tear a rift in my shoulder. I'll be using the machine for the usual productivity stuff: mail, surfing, iWork, very light consumer-grade multimedia stuff, and Mathematica. The latter's quite heavy-going but on the whole I don't care much if it takes five or seven seconds to tear through a statement, I'm fairly performance-agnostic provided the interface remains "snappy".

That said, I'm in something of a dilemma: at the time of writing, the MacBookAir hasn't been refreshed for 182 days versus an average of 273. That puts an expected update in mid-July; personally I'm expecting an update during WWDC '09. I'm expecting the case to be revised to feature a black bezier like all aluminium MacBooks, and the trackpad to lose it's vestigial button. At the very least, I'm expecting the next revision to feature a speed-bump and bigger drive sizes, though I'll take the SSD option whichever size is offered. In my moments of deepest opium-induced fantasy, I also glimpse the prospect of an inbuilt UMTS/"3G" chipset and a GPS receiver, but I can't hold the illusion as long as I'd like.

(Also, call me superficial but I live in mortal terror of buying a laptop just before the line is refreshed and being stuck with something "obviously obsolete".)

Now, I put it to the experts: how likely is this? Am I making myself miserable by holding out for something that probably won't arrive, or will arrive only much later, after many more months of rising frustration? I couldn't care less about price, nor am I particularly disturbed by a lack of ports and so forth, but there seems to be a large amount of pent-up demand for a MacBookAir that "doesn't suck". I'm sufficiently desperate to be considering getting a Dell Mini 9 and transforming it into a temporary Leopard "hackintosh".

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're miserable just get one now. In my opinion the Air isn't a great machine in the first place, and even marginal improvements aren't going to result in performance that measures up to even the low-end Macbook. Keep in mind that nobody really knows the product cycle for the MBA since there's hardly any statistics.

3. qubex thread starter macrumors 6502

qubex

I know the MacBookAir doesn't even measure up against a much cheaper MacBook performancewise, but the whole point of the MacBookAir is portability, whereas the Unibody MacBook is only a marginal improvement on my current MacBookPro in terms of weight and size. With the MacBook I'd find myself in the same dilemma whereby I'd have a slower machine without any gain in portability.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That doesn't change my recommendation to buy it now. Like I said, there's virtually no precedent for when the next MBA will be released. If a new one is released, it's not like the current ones are going to run any slower.

5. qubex thread starter macrumors 6502

qubex

Hmm, true.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if the weight is your primary concern, hackintosh a Lenovo S-10 netbook...

7. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I believe that apple allows you to return a product within 30 days of purchase for store credit, so if you wait until... may 13th you could return it, and wait until the new one comes out. And if it doesn't come out, you had it for an extra month! Anyone know if you can do this with a refurb? If so, then you wouldn't even feel as bad about the new version! http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB543LL/A?mco=MjE0Njc4Ng Here is a refurb current gen air(1.6GHz) for $250, and the 1.86GHz is $350 off when they have it. Happy laptop hunting!
    SG :apple:

Update: there is now a top of the line current gen. in the refurb section: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB940LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw