MacBookPro 13 tomorrow or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShocK x10, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    #1
    Simply put, its my birthday tomorrow and I was all geared up for recieving one tomorrow with the hope that they wouldnt be updated till February atleast, well now I realise they may be updated this Oct.. does anyone know when?

    I dont know if where I live has a 14 day return period.. is this standard for apple or is it just in places where local jurisdictions say so? Id rather NOT buy, then have an upgrade a week later and regret buying it because i cant take it back, but id also rather not wait for nothing.

    I wont be waiting till Feb because I want NVIDIA chipset, not Intel, so the big thing is what the upgrade would be..
    I know nobody knows fo sure but this is my first Mac, and I would appreciate advice from someone whos been in the chain awhile ;)
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    No one knows for sure, but if you view the buyer's guide here there could possibly be an update. Whether it's big enough for you is only up to you. I'm only waiting to see if they give a matte option to the 13"s.
     
  3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    #3
    It's your birthday, just get the 13th inc. It's an awesome machine. There will always be new things in the works. Get it now. You'll be glad you did.
     
  4. ShocK x10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    #4
    I was thinking of buying, then IF the new releases in Feb have i5/i7 and nvidia graphics (important to me) then ill sell and buy a new release end of 2010. but this is short term and the most important thing to me is not being out of date :D but seriously im not sure.
    well i have the extra 270MHz processor incase i need it for virtualisation; 4GB RAM a necessity but im apt with upgrading anyway; HDD size aint important (may go ssd) and i need a nvidia GPU. Ive seen these intels and theyre.. not that great to say the least..

    The sole reason for me waiting is the NvidiaGPU upgrade, IF it happens to go from 9400m to 200m and i have the 9400m i will be sad, but if not im not bothered. I dont know about matte vs glossy as i have never had a laptop before but im sure ill survive. Anyway there isnt a matte out and it may not come out on 13inch (plus I :apple: the black bezel.)
     
  5. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #5
    what are you going to do on your computer that would warrant the fastest possible? If it is that important, than i think you need to look at the top of the line 15" or even 17".
     
  6. ShocK x10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    #6
    Its not important, long story short, I just prefer the max I can get. If I buy tomorrow and get outreleased by a 200M within a month I shant be too happy, seeing as it has so much more performance. But if its a minor spec change I dont really care.

    Its just a case of: Im located Guernsey, CI (UK). If I buy a MBP 13 and xtime its updated (eg 14 days i think for america or smth?) would I be able to return it and say, pay a restocking fee and have a updated one? If not is the 9400M enough to hold me for a year+half of Adobe? (PS/DW/Illustrator/Flash) and some iMovie?

    Portability over screen size. I use a 1280x1024 so im used to lower resolutions.
     
  7. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #7
    the difference between 2.8 and 3.0 isn't going to be substantial. If you are going to be worried about that, I would be looking into the 15" with the dedicated graphics card.

    If you are worried about Apple changing processors in the next few weeks, I understand. There has been word (rumors) that some new products (iMac..) being announced anytime (possibly mid October), but if who knows.

    If you can wait, then that would be the best thing. At least until October has come and gone. I bought my Mac about a year ago, when the UMBs were released. Mine is a 2.5GHZ, and I think the fastest 15" that came out was 2.63 or something.. Mine is still fast, even compared to a year later. I have the CS4 suite on there, I process my 40MB + TIFF files, no probes with speed.

    You know the saying, "If you are waiting for the next fastest thing, you will always be waiting".
     
  8. ShocK x10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    #8
    sorry i think you mis understood me
    im going for a 13" @ 2.53. the only problem for me is a GPU update. If they update from the 9400m to the 200m then thats quite a big loss. If its a minor spec jump.. sod it im not bothered.

    now im in the state of mind of just taking the plunge and not look back.
    1- its a mac so itll be epixx anyway as someone said
    2- the 9400M is good as i can see but i know the 200m is better
    3- 15" isnt really an option from the point of view that i dont want to be taking a 1.5k laptop around school. if i need the extra discrete graphics then ill resell and get a new one; but i dont think i will.
     

Share This Page