Macbookpro 15- mechanical engineering

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chanty2, Apr 2, 2015.

1. chanty2 macrumors newbie

Im plannin on getting a macbook pro 15 (base model). I am a mechanical engineering student. I will be doing my graduate studies in the same stream. I wanted to know if softwares like ANSYS , ABAQUS , solidworks work well in this base model. I will be using windows. not sure if its through bootcamp or parallels. Help me out guys.

2. Toltepeceno, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Solidworks will not run properly because they do not have supported graphics cards on macs. We went through this with our son as he has to have it for school.

http://www.cadtek.com/running-solidworks-on-a-mac

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

I know this is not what you are looking for, but we wound up getting him this one for under 700.00 and it runs it perfectly with a NVIDIA GeForce 840M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated) card. The envy is surprisingly very solid built with very good sound. The one he has is far faster than my yosemite spinning beach ball.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=541663&storeId=10151#!&TabName=specs

3. dyt1983, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

4. Toltepeceno, Apr 2, 2015

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Really? I guess you didn't actually read my quote, it covered running windows on a mac. I put the part for edrawings in there for general knowledge.

It covers that you cannot run it properly running windows on osx as there are no supported video cards on the macbook pro's and even if you did have a supported one you would have to run bootcamp as with parallels it still would not recognize it. That's irrelevant though as they do not supported cards.

5. dyt1983, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

6. Toltepeceno, Apr 2, 2015

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I guess reading is not your strong suit as the part I quoted was to *EXACTLY* cover the part about running solidworks on a mac through windows. You just have to read and understand it. How do you know what the op cares about? That's awful narcissistic. I was pointing out that edrawing would along with the rest of the post.

Where did I say it would not run under parallels? Back up your false statement. Try reading and understanding, jeesh. If running under parallels it will not recognize a supported graphics card even if you had one. Under boot camp it will. THAT's the point. I clearly posted the quote of the things that will not run properly under parallels, I did not say it would not run. That is a false statement.

LoL, the op said:

which means it is between bootcamp and parallels. You are droning on about how I put a remark in my answer about running solidworks on osx, that he did not ask, and now you are ranting about a method of installing windows on osx that he did not mention? He SPECIFICALLY mentioned boot camp and parallels and bootcamp is the ONLY ONE out of the two that will recognize the supportrd graphics card if you even have one. The hypocrisy points toward you just wanting to be argumentative, please pay attention to the conversation.

It's amazing how someone can post things like this on a thread without actually reading what they are replying to.

Here, let my apply your above post to this instance:

See the hypocrisy?

7. chanty2, Apr 2, 2015

chanty2 thread starter macrumors newbie

And what about ansys and abaqus. they dont require gpu right? they need high memory. so will the macbook pro be sufficient ? And is bootcamp a preferred choice to run ansys or abaqus.

8. Toltepeceno, Apr 2, 2015

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I have no experience with the others, just solidworks. Sorry. Maybe someone with EXPERIENCE and that actually reads the thread will come along and help.

9. chanty2 thread starter macrumors newbie

And what about ansys and abaqus. they dont require gpu right? they need high memory. so will the macbook pro be sufficient ? And is bootcamp a preferred choice to run ansys or abaqus.