MacbookPro 2.16 ETA Two weeks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hubble, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. hubble macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2006
    I'm nearly two weeks away from picking up a new MacbookPro 2.16. It's taken me nearly 6 months to decide which model to go for and after two demo's, this is the one for me. It's not cheap but in time it will pay for itself. Have also pushed the boat out a little further by adding an extra gig of ram to max it out at 2 gig.

    The only issue I do have is the software. All of my apps are not universal and I've been told that there could be some delay at running speeds. Keep you posted with the results.:D

    Power Mac G5 Quad 4gig ram, Powerbook G4, 30gig Ipod Video, New Apple cinema display 20"
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    Congrats on taking the plunge. Apps running under Rosetta won't be ideal, but just imagine how you'll feel like you have new machine when Universal versions of Office and CS3 are released. It'll be like buying a new, upgraded computer without having to lay out the cash!
  3. spicyapple macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006

    I wish I could tell myself that. As a tool to get work done, it depreciates faster than other tools, say, like a jackhammer, for instance. :p
  4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    Congrats :D I went the 2ghz model I cant wait any longer.
  5. sulhaq macrumors regular


    Jul 29, 2006
    Congrats on deciding to get your Macbook Pro :) A bit of advice since I went through this same process. Don't bother upgrading ANYTHING on your purchase directly from Apple. It's just a hassle. I bought a white Macbook and upgraded the ram and the hdd and all that jazz, turns out it was DoA. Took it to the retail store and they couldn't swap it for me because it was CTO (Customized To Order) I had to painstakingly return my macbook back to Apple, get credited for it, then make a new purchase online. Considering how many problems these first revision intel machines have I'd advise you to only get the standard machine from Apple so that you can swap it out at a retail store if problems arise.

    As for RAM, definitely upgrade it but buy third party ram. G.Skill ram its very good and only costs around $160 for 2gb. A hell of a lot more cheaper than Apple anyways. You can also get a 160gig hard drive for about 220 bucks if you want to upgrade that.

    Good luck and enjoy your new mac. Other than the internal hardware problems and the hassle I had to go through with Apple for my purchase I can safely say this is the best computer I have ever used.
  6. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

    Aug 8, 2006
    i am excited for you.

    i've had my 15" mbp for just 6 days now and i love it. i ordered it online on the 8th and was given a 2 week eta. you can imagine how happy i was to get the call from apple on the 12th to say it was being delivered that day!
  7. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2006
    Pc World Business

    I went through PC world Business centre UK for both the G5 Quad and the MacBook Pro. Apple were out by over £200 on the MacBook Pro inc Ram.

    Their prices are very steep in comparison. PC world are dropping in TRUDATA into the MacbookPro £68 EX VAT (1 gig). I think that's a good deal.
    I just hope that I don't get any trouble with it when it arrives....

    Thanks for the upgrade info too on the external drive. Just purchased a 400 gig drive from Freecom for £120 Delivered. So there's lots of space in case I need it.

Share This Page